new software HERE for KnifeDogs....Tapatalk going away

BossDog

KnifeDogs.com & USAknifemaker.com Owner
Staff member
We use Vbulletin software here. It's comfortable and was considered "the best" forum software out there...That was several years ago. The VB folks upgraded and split the platform. VB 5 was riddled with bugs and security issues and we never upgraded to it even after purchasing the license due to ongoing issues.

We are now fighting issues with VB 4 due to it's age and diminished support.

We will be converting this forum to Xenfro (same as Bladeforums has done). The feature set is much richer and more robust.

With that, we will be dropping Tapatalk. Xenfro interface works much better on mobile than VB/Tapatalk. The reason we are dropping Tapatalk is they have ongoing security issues and have made some management decisions that I see as a negative to our content and membership base.

I expect it will be painful for some, especially on the back side.
Hang in there.
t

Thanks for the heads up. It's sad that someone can't come up with a good mobile platform other than Tapatalk that is well supported and not buggy. A lot of the forums I frequent have dropped or are dropping Tapatalk support and while I know the mobile websites may be very good - it just isn't as convenient for someone who likes to get alerts when someone responds to a topic or replies to something you've posted and not as convenient for someone like me who frequents multiple forums.
I understand the reasoning - just wish it wasn't so...

You doing good Boss - one thing, when you do make the switch over to the new forum software, can you possibly keep the location showing on the post? With the "other site" you mention, a poster's location no longer shows and you have to click on profile and go thru that way to get location. Me - I like seeing where a person is locate.... like CJ above is in Russellville, AL - got kinfolk living there and close to where I called home for many years.

Ken H>

Well, I hate that but understand. This has been my favorite forum software, or is it just because I am used to it?

Thanks for keeping us in the loop. I like the way the other forum is now. It will be nice to see it here.

Boss, you lost me at, "VB folks upgraded but, then again I remember when computers were as big as refrigerators and took up whole rooms. NASA and some colleges had them!
images
images

But I have made it this far on my own. So guess I will figure it out!!
Lord I wish I were young again and had it to do over I know what career I would have chosen. Hows that old say hinsight is 20/20! LOL < see I am getting the lingo!!

Boss, thanks for all the effort you and your employees put toward this forum. I know from my past job what a pain it is to keep up with this electronic age. You'll get thru it, we'll get thru it, and we will all be okay with it eventually. We all hate change, but we also know how to adapt.
Again, thanks for all your work.

Software is purchased along with a couple enhancement modules. The ace web guy Claudio will be installing the software soon. We will use the default style for a bit until we get any bugs dealt with, then we will find a style/theme to install and jazz it up a bit.

Software is purchased along with a couple enhancement modules. The ace web guy Claudio will be installing the software soon. We will use the default style for a bit until we get any bugs dealt with, then we will find a style/theme to install and jazz it up a bit.

Hmmm... bad news: do you have any idea how much money I have given to jantz and Texas knife maker supply? Good news: you have a new customer. I never knew that knife dogs = USA knife makers... I do now lol.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Claudio, our crack forum support guy steps up and slams it done.
Much better via iPhone.

I better go look under the hood.

I like the way it turned out. Scott I have never seen your profile picture before. It's good to see a face as well as a name.

Well, I like it better than I thought I would. It does not seem much different from the old forum. It did drop the picture of Moe, the Official Shop Dog. I just noticed that it dropped Tracy Boss Dog's picture so I figure that will get taken care of soon.

Well I know you said there were changes being made but, WOW!! I was on earlier today and when I looked back in tonight,........we go a whole new look.

One question, when I first signed in, it said at top of page I had some alerts and when I clicked on it, there was something about trophies. Huh???

What is that all about. I went and took a look but still not sure what that is all about!!

I have no idea what the trophy thing is but congratulations for those.

Back