New to this

seider

I am very new to knife making well I have never tryed it at all. I see alot of posts were someone is posting links to get supplies and tools what I am wondering is what are the basic tools needed for this trade.. I have a buffing wheel on a bench grinder now (could use a better grinder) and a few files. I am looking at getting a vertical belt sander so that I can start rough and work my way down to a finer grit. Is that the right way to attack this.. I am more interested in making fixed blade knifes.. I would love to make a set of kitchen knifes with mesquite handles. Any help is greatfull..

I'd look at the WIP subforum. There's a tutorial on how to make a knife with basic tools, hand power drill, files, etc. But, if you want to invest some money, you'll need a drill press, belt grinder, and a lot of sandpaper.

I have a drill press and a buffer already the only thing I would need is a belt sander and I think I could build one I don't like to buy stuff I can build myself gives me alittle pride to say I built it

You'll find there are a number of options to build your own grinder. Midwest knifemakers supply sells plans and parts for a no weld grinder. I chose Polar Bear Forge's GIB (grinder in a box) frame kit, 1/2" plate cut to shape with most holes. I'm happy with it and building it was satisfying. Or if you're really handy there are a number of plans and CAD files available.

Jay

I am still a young pup but I have had the pleasure of working with a few older guys that have learned through the school of hard knocks. I am always like a sponge I try and learn as much as I can from them I love to learn new things you can never stop learning.. Gonna go find me a good used grinder 1/2hp min and will rig me up a 4" belt sander on one side and a 8" vertical sanders not sure if that is what it would be called another sander on the end... Will see what I come up with.. Nothing is better than making it yourself..

Welcome. Fill out your profile. Who knows, there may be a maker just a few miles from you who would be willing to teach you a few things.

I agree with you. Making things yourself does give you a certain amount of satisfaction! I have very few things in my shop that I bought, but that is mostly because I have a very tight budget. There is a lot of valuable information on this web site that can help you get a good start, and lots of willing people to give you advice to help you along.
Good luck. Knife making is very fulfilling, but it can be a lot of hard work.

I understand the tight budjet.. Are you from LaGrange Tx? I am just about 3hours west of ft worth.. Well lets see what I come up with and start from there.. May just start out getting a kit and make a blank sounds like a easy way to start and give me ideas on what I want to do next..

kits are a great way to start. sounds like you already have all the tools you would need. most things only take 100% effort to do well. knives take 200 % , blade and handle. each has it's own skillset. there some really good kits out there. try a few see how you like it. good luck

I am going to order me a kit next week and see what kind of trouble I can cause.. Wish me luck

I am still a young pup but I have had the pleasure of working with a few older guys that have learned through the school of hard knocks. I am always like a sponge I try and learn as much as I can from them I love to learn new things you can never stop learning.. Gonna go find me a good used grinder 1/2hp min and will rig me up a 4" belt sander on one side and a 8" vertical sanders not sure if that is what it would be called another sander on the end... Will see what I come up with.. Nothing is better than making it yourself..

Seider,
If you want to make a belt grinder, Get a 1 HP or large motor for knife making by stock removal. A 1 1/2HP is the standard, 2HP is even better. I have done well for many years with 1-2 HP Motors at 1800 RPM to run 2 x 72" belt grinder.

You want the power, not the speed of the 3600rpm motors.

Welcome aboard1

laurence

www.rhinoknives.com

yea I was thinking about more tourqe for when i put a load on it. thanks for the advise i looked at the one my boss has and his is a 2hp. we shall see how this works out.

Sorry Seider, not from Lagrange Texas, I'm from Lagrange Indiana. That's just a little farther north. There are quite a few custom knife makers in Texas. Do some searching and you might just be able to hook up with one who would be willing to give you some pointers.
For the most part, knife makers are more than willing to help another knife maker out.

Yea I would say that is alittle farther north.. I know there is a couple here local withing about a hour drive they have not responded to any emails yet.. Will keep trying and find a few more

We are in the same boat and I am just getting my supplies in to start this venture now. The advice about finding a maker is terrific. I discovered a maker who was only about 4 miles from my house...who knew? I learned a ton...about .002% of what I need to learn, but it was a ton!

seider,

If you are ever in the Houston area, you are more than welcome to stop by the shop. I am still learning myself but have a few months of experience now. Im sure we would both learn a few new things.

Good luck with your new addiction.

Kbog that is luck man. Some guys have all the luck no one even lives that close to me.. Steve my famliy and I are thinking about going to galveston to take my grandmother down there will probably be the last time she will be down there..I will let you know if we do. Thanks for the offer.

Back