New work

Rusty McDonald

KNIFE MAKER
Been doing some work on some fixed blades for a change of pace and to let my hair grow back. This is a couple I'm hoping to have done by the end of the day.

The first is a drop point in 9260 with cocobolo and 416 Stainless with red and black spacers

The second is a Stag hunter I've been working on for a bout a year. Forged it in February. It's 5160 and 416 with Bronze and Black Spacers. It will have a SS but cap as well.

Attachments

• IMG00176.jpg
    IMG00176.jpg
    59.4 KB · Views: 109
  • IMG00177.jpg
    IMG00177.jpg
    61.1 KB · Views: 119
ReconMarine

Great work, Rusty, can't wait to see them finished. I can't get in the same room with unsealed cocobolo, though. The first time I worked with it I noticed I had a rash on my face and forearms and had a hard time breathing. And what a headache! Found out later some people are allergic to it.

Mask up for EVERYTHING Recon,.. safer working :)
And the hardwoods get worse in danger the further south you go,.. coco,bocote, ziricote',bloodwood, lignum, all of them can mess you up.
We are so saftey crazy about g10 amd micarta, yet the woods and steel dust are every bit as lethal.

Thanks, I'm about done with the Samber stag one. have to fashon some kind of butcap for it what do yall think Bronze or stainless? HMM!

Rusty,

We've all been waiing patiently. Where are the finshed pics on these beauties?

Murph

Wife has me doing all kinds of stuff I dont want to do but I have to do. I've been HT'ing parts for some others and Building a etching machine for someone else (yeah you Brian)
Not to mention the 3 slipjoints I have in progress. Dang man cut me some slack. It shoud be done by the middle of the week at most. Here are some pic's from my phone. I had just gotten the Guard Shaped up and pinned to the taper. Im working on the but cap now.

Attachments

• IMG00183.jpg
    IMG00183.jpg
    71.1 KB · Views: 39
  • IMG00182.jpg
    IMG00182.jpg
    55.9 KB · Views: 43
  • IMG00180.jpg
    IMG00180.jpg
    58.9 KB · Views: 38
  • IMG00179.jpg
    IMG00179.jpg
    73.9 KB · Views: 35
Last edited:
Alright, I'll cut ya some slack. I'm just bored today and trying to find new pics of pretty blades to look at. I worked the weekend and now have today off and the weather isn't letting me take my grinder out to work on that blade you HT for me last week.

Murph

Personally, I would use bronze for the butt cap. It would compliment the spacers and not creat a rainbow of colors effect. JMHO

Thanks, I'm about done with the Samber stag one. have to fashon some kind of butcap for it what do yall think Bronze or stainless? HMM!

Awesome fixed blades Rusty. If you havent already made a butt cap I say you should use the same material the gaurd is made of. 416ss.

I have started on the but cap it will be the same as the bottom spacer 416ss in .050
I have a great deal of filing to do. Man why did I get this piece of Stag? So many groves and popcorn features.
Oh well It will look that much better I hope.
Do you think that this would be considered file work? I may want to use this for something coming up in February. Hmmm all over again!
Rusty

Last edited:
heheh

Rusty,
Just have to tell you man, "I like your knives!" Just started reading this thread today. LOL! Hope all is going well for ya and look forward to more pics in the future.
Bryan

February??? Hmmmmmm, could that possibly be an event taking place on maybe the weekend of the 20th and 21st?

Murph

Back