Newest Forum - Hot Metal - All about forging, damascus, knifesmithing, blacksmithing

BossDog

KnifeDogs.com & USAknifemaker.com Owner
Staff member
I've had several requests for an area dedicated to forging and damascus making. We have enough members now I think we can keep it active and interesting. Have fun...:35:

sounds like a place ill be happy to frequent, if I can manage to find me some ceramic blankets tomorrow I may be able to start my own forging this next week

Awesome! , my wife said "what?" when I got all excited that there was a new section then rolled her eyes and walked away when I told her what I was excited about lol
Chris

Sounds great Boss !

I'd like to nominate Mr Ed Caffrey as Moderator of our new Hot Metal forum. Can't think of anyone more qualified if he's got the time !

-Josh

The only thing I ever forged was a check but I'm excited to see what the Big Dogs do with heat and hammers.

I don't do the hot stuff as much as I used to but this could turn out to be a fun place. Maybe I can even chime in now and then.

Carey

Thanks Tracy I been keeping an eye out for this since we talked and somehow it slipped by me. Thanks for taking the time to put it up and give me a home :D.

Good place for me to start my education in moving hot metal. Just got me a beginner grade anvil (with stump!), a few hardies and hammers and a blacksmith vise.
I've been making metal removal knives on and off since '74, but friends and customers have been asking me to try a line of forged blades.
Still need a gas forge- haven't decided if I'm going to build or buy one.

hay guys Has anyone seen anything on a shop built or homeade air driven forging hammer? I saw what I thought was one in a Blade magazine recently, sitting on a bench.

jwstarr

www.maddwarfworkshop.com has a pretty interesting hydraulic press hammer that they use in their youtube videos. seems like a vertical version would be pretty handy for someone low on budget that can't run electricity all the time.... like myself. lol.

When I build my forge it will be a traditional coal forge and since I am going to be right next to a creek. I am planning on trying to implement some kind of water powered bellows with an air regulator on the tuyer. i'm leaning towards trying to be as efficient as i can and not have to run electricity when it's not really needed. Would appreciate feedback on that concept.

Back