No makers mark?

J. Hoffman

Dealer - Purveyor
I'm getting ready for the ICCE show next weekend and I go to etch my mark on some blades and my etcher is making weird buzzing sounds and isn't etching or marking. I'm hoping to send this one in to the factory to get fixed, because I really don't care to buy a new etcher and it likely wouldn't get here in time for me to etch the blades anyway. So, do I sell unmarked knives on my table, or do I just not put anything out that doesn't have a mark?

Man, that couldn't have happened at a worse time. if it were me I would buy another one and have it sent two day priority mail. I stamp my blades but if I etched them it wouldn't hurt to have a spare laying around. you could always sell one of them later. ICCE is a high end show and I think you may have trouble selling knives with no makers mark.

Put them on your table, explain the situation to folks who ask and to those who buy tell them you will be happy to hold the knife and mark it when you get a new etcher or they can bring it or mail it back to you and have it marked when you are able. Nothing trumps honesty.

I will put the knives out. I'm ordering a new etcher today, and hoping it will be here by Wednesday so I can etch them at 0' Dark thirty before I leave on Thursday morning. Before I made knives I once bought an unsharpened knife from a maker. He told me he was so busy getting ready for the show he forgot to sharpen some of the knives. I thought "How could that possibly happen?" Now I understand how.

Look around for a big antenna in your area, that just might be a ham radio operator. If he can't help repair your etcher, he'll know somebody who can help you out. Etchers are such simple things they're easy to repair.

73 de Ken H> K9FV

I will put the knives out. I'm ordering a new etcher today, and hoping it will be here by Wednesday so I can etch them at 0' Dark thirty before I leave on Thursday morning. Before I made knives I once bought an unsharpened knife from a maker. He told me he was so busy getting ready for the show he forgot to sharpen some of the knives. I thought "How could that possibly happen?" Now I understand how.
Remember the learning curve you went through with your old etcher and test the new one thoroughly before etching your knives. I wouldn't want you to mess up an etch at 0'dark thirty the day before you leave. I hope all goes well.

Hey jess if you want you can all ways stop by and use mine or we can figure something out. Just pm me or call me.

Thanks Larry, but we aren't going through that way, and I would be too scared to use a first time etcher on finished blades with no ability/time to fix them. Just a heads up, I sent an email to Patricia at IMG last night asking about the price of their power units. I was shocked to have a response from her this morning when I woke up (Sunday morning). She confirmed that they make the Knife Dogs etcher, so I will be ordering it tomorrow morning and hoping the USPS man can get it to me Tuesday. I really wish I had known I was going to need this etcher when I was at the hammer-in! I'm grateful for the great service from Patricia at IMG, and I know I'll get great service from Boss Dog and the crew tomorrow.

Not saying that this is the problem with yours, but a couple weeks ago, mine did the a similar thing. Long story short, it had a little rust on the screen where the felt pad goes. I took it off and cleaned it , problem solved. Scott

It's kind of scary to think how much goes into a knife before etching- and that sometimes there's no fixing a faulty etch. After a very close call where a new stencil was faulty, I now try every new stencil on a piece of steel prior to etching the first knife with it. I also try to figure out ways to etch earlier on, if possible.

It's kind of scary to think how much goes into a knife before etching- and that sometimes there's no fixing a faulty etch. After a very close call where a new stencil was faulty, I now try every new stencil on a piece of steel prior to etching the first knife with it. I also try to figure out ways to etch earlier on, if possible.

I like to etch before I glue-up so I can clean it up with a scotch brite if I need to.

Not saying that this is the problem with yours, but a couple weeks ago, mine did the a similar thing. Long story short, it had a little rust on the screen where the felt pad goes. I took it off and cleaned it , problem solved. Scott

Scott, I owe you big. I had bought a new marker handle from Boss and at first thought maybe the marker was junk. I used an Ohm meter and did check it though and it was fine, so I assumed the marker wasn't the issue. After reading your post I tried etching with a stack of rifle cleaning pads instead of the pad that came on the new marker. Low and behold it laid down a perfect, crisp, dark etch! My knives will be marked for ICCE and I saved a bunch of money. Thanks much!

You can go to the local hardware store and buy a pencil type etcher for say $12. It will make things easier for you. No it won't be terrific but will work. Frank

Back