not want to buff

Dcfolders

I do not want to buff anymore. Not much scares me, but that darn thing will grab knives and through them at you. That scares me. What grit belt do you go to, on the grinder to not buff. thanks for any help. Darryl

I start with a 40 or 60 grit Blaze, then a 120grit Blaze, then I switch to a 100x Norax until all the 120grit marks are gone, then 65x, 45x, 16x and finish with a 5x. I buff for maybe 30 seconds each side to give it color.

I go to 600 grit on the grinder then hand sand 800,1000,1500,and 2000. I don't get a true mirror finish but It looks really good.

In the course of a normal work day I run into all kinds of stuff that could potentially mame me or kill me, but I refuse to use a buffer. I hand sand to 2000 grit, then I take the same buffing compound that is used on buffers, I heat it up and smear it on a microfiber rag. From there I just hand buff.

I know a maker that has his buffer mounted so the wheels are spinning away from him. He buffs on top of them. This way is something gets away from him it gets thrown away from him.

I use a Scotbright belt to put a satan finish on my blade. I only buff my handles and I do that with the blade clamped in my knife vice and I put the buffing wheel on my hand drill. You should be able to find the arbours for buffing wheels in any of your tool-in-a-box store.

Doug Lester

Back