November-2012 Bubble Jig with a mystery damascus billet to grind on giveaway.

You bet. I finished the last weld yesterday. Its at 285 layers; 1/4" x 1 1/2" x 10" long. I'll surface grind it today and post a pic.

Here's the completed billet. 3/16 X 1 1/2 X 8 inches 295 layers 1084 and 15n20.

I've been using the hydrocarbon solvent for about a year, after using borax for 10 years. I like it. Its a very predictable process with few negatives and always excellent welds. Its nice for odd shapes, because the can forms around the billet.
DSC01545.JPG

Great looking damascus

At the risk of a side track, what are you using as a flux? Is there a common name for hydrocarbon solvent?

Great looking damascus

At the risk of a side track, what are you using as a flux? Is there a common name for hydrocarbon solvent?

Kerosene is a hydrocarbon solvent; I buy parts cleaner from Tractor Supply in five gallon cans. Its processed a little more and is a bit cleaner than K-1. They all work, they all form a jacket of solid carbon, around the billet cutting off the supply oxygen, which is whats needed for the billet to weld.

Wow am I exited. I have always wanted a damascus knife and now I can build my own! I will be needing help along the way for heat treating so please stay tuned.
Thanks Fred. Its much appreciated.
Jeff

Fred I have tried you give-away's before with no luck but, what the hey! I will take 757.

You never know and by the way thanks for the opportunity!

Back