NWG and KNG owners need some help

JAWilliams

KNIFEMAKER
OK to make a long story short I sold my coote and motor. Now I need to set up my NWG. I have the steel, now I need wheel and so on. What I am looking at is the following;
2) 2" contact wheels
2) 2" idler wheels
1) power drive wheel
1) tracking tension wheel
1) small wheel attachment
1) 3/4" small wheel or 1"

My question here is do I need both th idler and contact wheels? Or can I use one of each? Contact on the top. Or just get two contact wheels. I am flat grinding right now. What about the 3/4" small wheel. Or should I go with the 1"? Need feed back please.

And when I go to buy my contact for hollow grind what size and why.
Thanks,

James

You can certainly use 2" contact wheels for top and bottom of the flat platen. I usually say 1 of them as aluminum as the they will last forever and the contact wheels only last half of forever. The 2" contact wheels used to be quite a bit more than the aluminum ones but now they are close so it is really up to you.

I prefer an 8" contact wheel and sell 3 to 1 over the next most popular size of 10". Many guys say if they had to do it over again, they would start with a 10" and not the 8" they started with. If you knives are going to be bigger than the typical 4" hunter, get the 10".

Thanks T, should be ordering at the end of next week. Hey everyone I would stll like to hear from you. Need feed back.

I like my 10" wheel....in fact I'm thinking of getting a 12 or 14. But you could make an 8 do just about anything you want. I lean towards bigger and/or fatter blades so I like the height I get out of a 10" wheel.

On the small wheel I use the 1" and 1.5" more than any.

My flat platen is set up with a 2" rubber wheel on top and aluminum on the bottom.

post pics when you get set up :)

I have always used an 8" contact wheel but I make mostly smaller knives, I will probably get a 10" someday.

I use a 1" small wheel and the other one is the smallest one, I think its' a 1/2" but I'm not sure... I'd be lost without it :)

I use a 10" wheel.... I lean towards bigger and/or fatter blades so I like the height I get out of a 10" wheel also.but i flat grind more than hollow grinned so i use the flat platen more

My flat platen is set up with a 2" aluminum wheel on top and on the bottom.
i need to get a 1/2" and 1" On the small wheel for better cuts on the handles i like that three way set up but dont have the 400.00 for it yet but some day

I use almost all of my attachments on every knife.

1 drive wheel
1 tracking wheel
2 x 2" idler OR 2 x 2" contact will do
I started with a 3/8" but I use the 1" more if that helps.

I set up my NWG with 2" contact wheels on both top and bottom of my flat platen. I don't regret it as I use them both. I would certainly use a contact wheel for at least the top as they are close in price to the idler like Boss said. One thing is sure, you won't regret building the NWG.

-Mike

My flat platen is set up with 2" rubber contact wheels on top and on bottom. However, Ed Caffrey has designed his own platen that has a 2" contact wheel on top and a 3" contact wheel on bottom. I believe he uses them on folders for different grinds. Now that I am somewhat getting into making folders I can kinda see where it may come in handy to have different sized wheels. I like having both my wheels rubber contact wheels.

Thanks everyone. But everything has been put on hold. I talked to the doctor today, he is wanting me off for two weeks. That means I won't get a pay check for a month. Then he explained the risks involved. I won't go into detail but it is very bad. So after talking with Katie I am going to wait on everything but the couple I am working on. When all of this is over then I will get the NWG built. I know everyone goes through that time when nothing goes right. Well my time is now. But I know that I have the support of the KNIFE DOG family and freinds. That means alot to me. Thanks everyone, James

Oh Katie will let everyone know how it went on the 28th.

Oh No!!! I hate to see bad things happen to good people, and you James are a great person. Please keep in touch and let me know how you are doing. If there is anything I can do to help please let me know. Prayers sent your way buddy.

Back