Official Summer 2013 KnifeDogs Knife in the Hat Thread

Been kind of quiet in here the past few days... How's everyone doing? Has anybody started their KITH knife yet? I do want to encourage people to spread the word and see if wee can get more makers involved.

It has come to my attention that there was an issue with a knife not being received last year. This is why I added the stipulation about having a finished knife displayed in the photos thread to be eligible for the drawing. There will be no exceptions nor extending of the deadline. This is the only way to make if fair for everyone.

Been kind of quiet in here the past few days... How's everyone doing? Has anybody started their KITH knife yet? I do want to encourage people to spread the word and see if wee can get more makers involved.

It has come to my attention that there was an issue with a knife not being received last year. This is why I added the stipulation about having a finished knife displayed in the photos thread to be eligible for the drawing. There will be no exceptions nor extending of the deadline. This is the only way to make if fair for everyone.

Mark, thanks for taking the time to do this. I hope that everyone is able to get their knives out in time. I've done some other swaps and ended up short-changed; its always a horrible and infuriating experience.

I ordered 1084 from Aldo and it arrived end of last week. Drew the concept on paper and cut out my wooden version. Looking at handle material. Liner G10 material from Tracy arrived Sat. Thinking about a horizontal kydex sheath. Will more than likely start May 2 as I have 2 daughters graduating college next week, one on April 30th, the other May 1st. WOW no more college tuitions to pay.

Maybe I will be able to buy a real grinder in a couple of months, yeah thats the picture...

Mike- No problem. I'm also hoping everything goes well. Honestly, if these aren't fun and a good experience for EVERYONE, there really isn't any point in doing them.

Patrick - You've been added!

George - Congrats to your daughters (and to your bank account)! I'm looking forward to seeing what everyone comes up with!

I think I have myself convinced to try a hidden tang for this Kith. I've never done a hidden tang. It seems like a good time to challenge myself. I'll likely also do a full tang as a backup in case of a complete fail on the hidden tang.

Greg and Derek have been added!

Jason - I'm looking forward to what you come up with! I enjoy hidden tangs, but it has been quite a while since I have made one. They are a lot of fun when everything goes right. I still haven't decided what I'm going to do for mine. I have a few ideas and a few roughed out, but I'm not sure. The weather is supposed to be nice here for the weekend. If the wife has no strong objection, I'll probably get out to the shop as soon as I'm home from work and see if I can get a few solid days this weekend too.

I'm in!

Still fairly new to knife making, but I think I've come up with my lead design, which I can make the first for this knife in the hat. Started on a wood template and might make a few more before I start on the metal. It will be about 9" in total length.

Thanks,
-Swait

so here's my concept drawing.

only thing I'm wondering is with a 4.5" blade is 2.5" of tang long enough?

I like the design! I know a lot of makers like to see the tang about 3/4 the length of the handle if possible. Having it a little wider wouldn't hurt anything either. That being said, as long as everything is tight and solid, it should hold up just fine.

Here's the one I'm working on. Time to find some nice handle material . It's 1095 with a 5.5" blade

Attachments

• IMAG0268.jpg
    IMAG0268.jpg
    161.4 KB · Views: 16
I want to play.. As long as a kitchen knife fits into the mix ;)

I cant speak for everyone but I know I, at least, would L-O-V-E to even get to hold one of your beautiful knives. Your work makes me want to be a better maker, sooooooo much better......

Back