OK.....Since we're on the subject of breaking things... may be disturbing

EdCaffreyMS

"The Montana Bladesmith"
As a friend put it.... "You broke the unbreakable!!" :) If nothing else, I found the limit on what a Ridgid 400 pipe threader will handle when twisting damascus.

I was working on a largish project, and tried to twist some 2" round nickle/1080 damascus.... the old gal just couldn't handle it.....took a couple teeth off the main gear. Thankfully, a close friend came to my rescue, with the same machine, that had a bad motor.....pulled the motor outta mine, put it in the body of his.....and back in business! :)

AV9292.jpg

IMG-5517.jpg

62779006896-6-D43-DB44-E41-E-4-C86-95-B8-2-A0-C8-B7-AEB0-A.jpg

And finally about the wrap up a successful surgery/motor transplant! just have to "close up" the patient, and allow her (or more accurately...me) to rest overnight. :) All I had to do this morning was to reinsert the "arms" that hold the pipe vise. Provided the body allows, I'll be back at the forge tomorrow!

62779004839-208-E896-E-ABB7-4-D63-9503-4424-BEB1619-D.jpg

Great save, Ed. Just thinking out loud- how hard would it be to swap the gears for a cog belt? Be awful nice to hear a belt jump (or even break) versus that nasty POP! CLINK! CLUNK! sound.

Aaahhh yes the serious misuse of Tools!! LOL!! Glad you were able to fix it!! Not cheap to replace used or otherwise!!

I have one of those where I work. I don't know how old it is but it was beat looking when I got there 25 years ago. I've threaded a lot of 2" galvanized on it, the torque on those machines is unbelievable. we use hand threaders too made by Ridgid and if you don't have some weight behind you it'll spin you around like a clock hand. nice save Ed. finding spare parts for that have got to be super rare.

I don't know exactly when they ceased being produced, but I know the serial number on mine puts it as being made in 1955. I was able to find a pdf of the manual. Only spare parts are those you can scrounge off other machines. Until this happened, I didn't think a guy would ever need spare parts. The one I broke, was use as a twister in my shop for the last decade or so. I actually am going to look at another one tomorrow. Just in case. It's pretty obvious that they don't go bad "on the shelf". :)

Back