Old tomahawk

Sticks

tomahawk.jpg

About 50 years ago or so. my Granddad bought an old chest of drawers and this was in it. Its acid etched with script engraved that appears to be german or dutch. Anyway, I was wondering if anyone could provide any information on it. The hole, at the front, used to be for a brass screw in guard that has "disappeared" over the years.

Is the head steel or is it bronze or?
It looks like it is for show only some type of cerimonial hawk.

Bob

Thanks Randy! I put the script through the Google Translater and it came back as: "Johan Merfort gratitude to Ken Andes Bar delights from Ignaz Tichy in Carpathians".

Thanks Randy! I put the script through the Google Translater and it came back as: "Johan Merfort gratitude to Ken Andes Bar delights from Ignaz Tichy in Carpathians".

Carpathians is a mountain range that covers a lot of ground from Czech Republic down to Romania.....Randy

Thanks Randy. Maybe a European tomahawk? I checked out the web sites that you suggested, very informative. To have the 'hawk checked out I'll need to send better pictures, dimenions and weight. But I did notice that generally if the profiles of blade are curved as this one is, they are not original. At least not for American Indian tomahawks. I don't know if it was simply decorative because the blade had a brass guard to protect the edge. Maybe, if I'm lucky this was a gift sending Johan Merfort off to the New World when pioneers had a need for tomahawks!

Also maybe someone familiar with the dialect and also the engraving which has it's own identity if you know what to look for. .....Randy

Randy:

I did a google search for "Johan Merfort" and "Ignaz Tichy". Nothing on Johan, but there was a Ignaz Tichy born in Czechoslovakia in 1813, which seems to jive with the Carpathian Mountains! There was no other reference to an Ignaz Tichy.

Jay

Sounds like your Grand Dad bought furniture with a family heirloom in it. Certainly worth more investigating.....Randy

Well I took more pictures to post at the site you suggested. I'm pretty curious now!

Jay

As a long time collector of Indian artifacts , By looking at the style and country of origan , I am sure it is a presentation trade axe . Hundreds of thousands of different type of goods were traded with the amerinds , the early settlers brought from thier countries included glass venetin beads , knives ,axes ,etc. Your appears to be of a fine quality . hang on to that one ..... Bubba

With all due respect to bubba-san I'd say this is more than likely a war trophy brought home from Europe and not an American tomaahwk head at all It's a pretty typical war axe style from eastern Europe - look at the similarity to Viking era and later Euro war axes.

1) Tomahawks originally were nothing more than small Euro axes used in trade. Pipe axes while based on the Euro axes are strictly an American innovation albeit some were made in Europe, especially by the Frenhc and English.
2)
But I did notice that generally if the profiles of blade are curved as this one is, they are not original. At least not for American Indian tomahawks.
Not sure where you go that info, but it is in error. Tomahawks used in America came in all types of shapes and sizes, with curved upper and lower edges as well as straight. http://furtradetomahawks.tripod.com/id13.html - scroll down to the bottom of the page to see one with curved upper edge.

Some even look like something carried by a Medieval knight - these are known as hlaberd axes and can be seen on the sites linked above.

It may be a war trophy. It didn't come into my posession until the early sixties, so I have no idea how it found its way to Connecticut. Bubba I like your evaluation. And Chuck I appreciate your candor. I'll be sending better pictures "furtradetomehawks" and ask for an opinion. I got the idea about the curved blade detracting from originality from the same source quoted by Chuck, above see link. http://furtradetomahawks.tripod.com/id29.html I must have misread it. But thanks for all the comments.

Jay

Well my curiosity got the beat of me. So, Chuck I followed up on your opinion that the "tomahawk" was a Eastern European War Axe with a little Google research. I found a number of pictures of what is called a "ciupaga", translated to "mountaineers axe" and shepard's wlaking stick that were comman to the Carpathian Mountains to be confidant my "tomahawk" is in fact a ciupaga. These date back to medieval times and were somtimes used as weapons.

"In days of yore, the highlanders of the Carpathian Mountains carried Ciupaga (pronounced "chew-pa-ga")
walking sticks. The legendary Janosik, a medieval Robin Hood-like hero of Tatra Mountain lore, was
known for his. The handle functioned as an axe; the pointed tip doubled as a spear. The Ciupaga is crafted
from a 34" long solid piece of mountain hardwood with a solid brass handle and fittings. Wt: 2 lbs.
Beginning Breakage
Weapon Type Attack/Parry Damage Points Notes
Ciupaga (Axe) Hand 25% 1d6+2 13
Ciupaga (Spear) Thrusting 25% 1d6+1 13 Impales
Skill with this weapon requires the development of two separate weapon skills: Axe and Spear.
When used as an axe, this weapon will damage other weapons. When used as a spear it will not."

I've attached some pictures of ciupaga.

Attachments

• Klimek3.jpg
    Klimek3.jpg
    90.5 KB · Views: 12
  • 002is4.jpg
    002is4.jpg
    61.1 KB · Views: 13
  • 381px-Wladyslaw_Skoczylas_-_Janosik.jpg
    381px-Wladyslaw_Skoczylas_-_Janosik.jpg
    93.3 KB · Views: 11
  • 250100_FULL.jpg
    250100_FULL.jpg
    30.8 KB · Views: 14
  • axe2.jpg
    axe2.jpg
    12.8 KB · Views: 8
I still say its a trade piece , I have studied axe types for many years . I also have been a member of a professional archeological organization for over 25 years , I have seen many axes like that . Presentation axes were commonly signed like that . respectfully Bubba-san. I sent pic to president of society and he says its a european trade axe for sure . Tom is an expert on axes .

http://furtradetomahawks.tripod.com/

Last edited:
Babba-san: I like it and will keep it hanging on the wall. Even if it were made as ciupaga, they were made for hundreds of years and would be a perfect trade item for those coming to the new world. If they would be of interest to you I could post some better pictures of my "tomahawk." I'm always concerned abouting pictures that are too "big" on this forum.

Its a great piece and has pretty good value . Dont ever get rid of it . I have seen axes of that type go for many hundreds of dollars. I would like to see some pics for sure .....Bubba Of further note the amerinds did not have iron axes , not until the european contact did they get iron pieces , although some indians had Hematite axes but, they were prehistoric in manufacture.

Last edited:
Back