Physicians Knife

cnccutter

I've been interested in the physicians style knife for a while and thought I'd give one a try this weekend.

steel O1 rc59
416 ss liners
Australian oak scales
open 5 3/4"
blade 2 5/8

Erik

Doc holiday.jpg

Last edited:
thanks Calvin. the bolsters are Silica Bronze. I happen to have two sheets left over from when I did large scale sculpture that are 2' X 10'. I'm figuring I have a life time of bolster material... HA

Erik

thanks Calvin. the bolsters are Silica Bronze. I happen to have two sheets left over from when I did large scale sculpture that are 2' X 10'. I'm figuring I have a life time of bolster material... HA

Erik

Oh yeah I like that bronze,I've used a little of it and have just enough left from small pieces that a friend gave me to use as liner/bolster for a slipjoint that I'm planning on building and having engraved.

Nice folder.

I guess physicians where you come from are different than the ones here in Texas. My wife is a 4'10", 95# physician and she carries one of these:

IMG_3207.png

Texas Physician's Knife aka SLUMDOG
:steve:​

Last edited by a moderator:
Erik,
Nice little Doc's knife.
There have been many variations of this style of knife going back to the bronze age and stone I imagine?

The 18-1900's versions usually have a flat bottom bolster and a thin blade of 3-6 inches or so and some had a spatula blade as well. The doc would cut your clothes off of your injured area and then use the long blade to remove medicinal powders from glass tubes and then crush or mix them with the flat bolster. This was the light way for them to travel so they didn't have to keep a Mortar & pestle in there Doctors bag.

I like this knife and am looking forward to seeing more of them from you.

Laurence

www.rhinoknives.com

Laurence, I had a lot of fun making the knife. overall I am pretty happy and I think I'll make a few more with this pattern but after handling it I'd like to stretch the blade another 3/4" to give it an even longer slimmer feel.

Erik

Drik,
A friend of mine a few years ago restored a late 40's Dodge Doctors Coupe.
I don't think a knife came with it, but it had a built in cabinet behind the two front seats and the drivers side seat would pivot a bit so the Doc could get at the built in medicine chest. The chest was cool with many cross hatched places for corked and twist top glass vials. The car did come with a Doc's black leather bag my friend said but that was gone when he purchased and then restored it.

This was back when they made house calls of course! LOL

Laurence

www.rhinoknives.com

Back