Plate quench / kydex press combo

Sampson knifeworks

Here is what I am using to plate quench my blades and it doubles as a kydex press. I'm sure this is not a new idea, but I thought I would pass it along to see if it helps somebody!
plate & kydex press #2.jpgplate & kydex press #1.jpg
attachment.php
attachment.php

That is a nice setup. If you don't mind me asking is that foam between the plywood sheets? is that what is used to form kydex?

Good lookin setup you've got there. Please excuse my ignorance, but what type of clamp is that?

Good lookin setup you've got there. Please excuse my ignorance, but what type of clamp is that?

Like Tracy said, It's a small bessey quick release wood clamp I bought from amazon, wish it was a little bigger but it does work great. Welded an angle iron to some steel bars and bolted to bench.
Clint

Now, that Sir is slick. With space such a premium in most shops, I think we might start seeing quite a few rigs like that showing up.

Thanks for sharing a great idea,
Carey

Is this neoprene foam sold for kydex forming the same as the Kneeling pads sold in the gardening stores / Walmart and such ?

It has a much higher density than the blue sleeping mat foam I have used, but since it costs so much more,
I'm afraid to spoil the ones I have without some idea that it will work.

and

Does anyone have an industrial supplier for larger amounts at wholesale rates ?
or the proper trade name for it ?

Great design does the plywood just sit on the bottom or is there a stop on the back side so it wont slip what did you make the clips out of that hold the top plywood in place. Where do you pick up the aluminum plates at.

Thanks

Great design does the plywood just sit on the bottom or is there a stop on the back side so it wont slip what did you make the clips out of that hold the top plywood in place. Where do you pick up the aluminum plates at.

Thanks

The bottom plywood just sits there, I have not had a problem with it slipping around, the top clips are made from 1/16" thick aluminum straps, easy to slide the whole thing on and off. You could use them clips on the bottom if you have a problem with movement. I got my aluminum plates from a guy on Ebay, It was a 2" X 6" X 2' long piece that they cut in half for me at no extra cost. Been to long, I cannot remember what I paid.
Sincerely,
Clint

Any chance of getting a picture of the back of the setup? I searched for the quick release clamp and still am having a hard time visualizing the mounting setup.

Plate quench/ kydex press combo

Sorry this took so long, but here is some pics of the back side of the vise. The bracket I made was from 4" X 4" angle iron, notched for the vise screw & guides to clear. Welded two arms on it to mount to bench.
Clint
backside vise 2.jpgbackside vise 1.jpg
attachment.php
attachment.php

Back