platen chiller

csalt09

Looking for a plates chiller for my KMG. My research showed Nathen the machinist makes a nice one but it looks outdated. Any info?

For most, those "plate chillers" have sort of gone by the wayside, and been replaced by ceramic/glass platen faces. The ceramic/glass reduces heat build up, without the additional hardware, ect that the "plate chiller" requires, and compared to any metallic platen, last much longer with grooving up. I have seen situations where individual used the "plate chiller" and faced it with ceramic/glass, but more often then not the ceramic/glass would crack......for what reason, I'm not sure.

Thanks Ed. Thats good to hear. I have a ceramic plate on my platen now but was just wondering. I guess thats why all the info on the chillers are outdated. One less thing to buy. I would probably be fine if i can learn to change my belts more often, I'm just so cheap even though i know better.

blksmith. They are platens with coolant channels in them to keep the platen cooler, Sorry I ment platen chiller.

For most, those "plate chillers" have sort of gone by the wayside, and been replaced by ceramic/glass platen faces. The ceramic/glass reduces heat build up, without the additional hardware, ect that the "plate chiller" requires, and compared to any metallic platen, last much longer with grooving up. I have seen situations where individual used the "plate chiller" and faced it with ceramic/glass, but more often then not the ceramic/glass would crack......for what reason, I'm not sure.

That's interesting that the glass would crack. I know I've seen a guy heat some pyroceram with a torch until it would easily ignite a match head when touched to it, and then it was quenched in a bucket of ice water with no ill effect what so ever.

When grinding on my glass platen for an extended period, the back does get hot enough that I wouldn't want to leave my hand on it. That said, it's really never posed an issue, and I never saw much use or need to chill it.

Back