Portable Grinder Stand

murphda2

Super Moderator and KD Blade Show Boss
I've had the idea of getting a stand for my grinder that would be portable due to the fact that I've had to wheel it in and out my back door to the deck to work. I've recently rented a storage space which I'll be turning into a shop (this weekend I hope). With the new shop I will no longer have the need to wheel my grinder in and out for use, but still think the portable capability would be nice as I travel home to visit my wife every few weeks and this would allow me to take my grinder home for the weekends as well.

On a trip to Lowes tonight I came across a portable miter saw stand that seems to be a possible solution to the issue. The stand has an adjustable top which I could mount my base plate to. It is also adjustable in height and collapses with fair size wheels on the end for moving.

Anyway, here is a pic. Tell me what you guys think of my idea. I think with the addition of a set of small wheels on the other end, I would even be able to easily load it into my little SUV. It is rated for 300lbs and I believe my KMG to weigh-in at approximately 175lbs.

attachment.php

Attachments

• Portable Stand.jpg
    Portable Stand.jpg
    62.7 KB · Views: 189
Yep, $179 (but lowes gives a 10% military discount). I'm thinking about adding this to my Christmas list for Santa along with a new vise, some clamps, a drill, ......... the list goes on and on.

Just a thought, but consider wing nutting it down to a rock solid bench. You should be able to get it off in seconds, but you'll like the solidness and vibration control even better. Good looking stand though.

Take care, Craig

I'm with cdent.

A miter saw is one thing, a KMG is another. The stability of a portable grinder stand will need to be rock solid, and those tubing portable stands won't cut it. Make a fixed base for the KMG at each location, and use a modified flat bed hand truck from HF to transport it back and forth. If you install 3/8" threaded inserts in the bench tops, and use 3/8" hand knob assemblies it should be easy to move back and forth. I would put the same inserts on the hand truck to prevent the KMG from slipping off when moving.

Hand knob:
http://www.grainger.com/Grainger/items/4R950?Pid=search

Stacy

I made my own out of heavy gage tubing. It has worked really well for the past 4 years that I have had it. Here are a few pics right after completion.

[
DSCN1091.jpg

GrinderStand.jpg
[/IMG]

It is very solid while grinding. This one is designed to roll on smooth concrete in my shop and I do take it outside at times on the driveway, but there are no uneven surfaces. If you will be moving it over an uneven surface, you may want a different configuration. It is very convenient to change out the arms.

My thoughts on this stand was for temporary use not permanent. I currently have my grinder on top of my roll away tool chest but I will be building a work bench for it soon. I was thinking that this mater saw stand would be good for when I travel home or maybe even visit someone else's shop. The few knifemakers in my area who I have met only have thier one grinder. Something like this would make it easy for me to load and unload my grinder in and out of a small SUV.

" but still think the portable capability would be nice as I travel home to visit my wife every few weeks and this would allow me to take my grinder home for the weekends as well."
Thats dedication,the grinder would be the last thing on my mind:D
Stan

Grinder Stand

Because I take my grinder to blacksmith meetings and conferences, knife shows, Batson Blade Symposium, etc. I have been needing a light weight stand.

I need to show the grinder around to show folks what is available in my workshops. I presently have a stand that also has my chop saw mounted on it. I is convienient for the shop but really heavy for taking for "Show and Tells".

These stands bare looking into as well as other suggestions that get posted here.

I have a workshop being conducted at my shop December 18-19th. I am also conducting a workshop at the New England School of Metalwork (www.newenglandschoolofmetalwork.com) May 6-7. 2010.

<);-)>
Wayne Coe
WayneCoe@Highland.net
http://www.WayneCoeBlacksmith.Etsy.com
423-628-6444
729 Peters Ford Road
Sunbright, Tennessee 37872

My thoughts on this stand was for temporary use not permanent. I currently have my grinder on top of my roll away tool chest but I will be building a work bench for it soon. I was thinking that this mater saw stand would be good for when I travel home or maybe even visit someone else's shop. The few knifemakers in my area who I have met only have thier one grinder. Something like this would make it easy for me to load and unload my grinder in and out of a small SUV.

That sir is a good idea. I never thought about that.

Back