Preparation for etching Damascus

levernut

This is my first try at etching Damascus. The knives are made from Alabama Damascus. I have tried to remove the dark gray residue that is left from oil quenching by sanding all surfaces. But the knives are still a light gray, kind of a patina. Does the steel need to be shiny silver in order for the etching to be most effective or will the acid cut through some of the oxide?

Needs to be CLEAN!! I had finish to 600-1200 grit depending on the type of etch I desire, then I put on latex gloves, clean the blade(s) with acetone, then with windex. If you're using Ferric Chloride to etch, CLEAN is the operative word. ANYTHING on the blades.....residue of any kind, and it either won't etch, or won't etch like you want it to....then the only alternative is to resand, reclean, and try again. BE CAREFUL if you use windex to clean before etching.....even a drop of windex in a vat of Ferric Chloride will "kill" the etchant......that's the voice of experience! :)

Is the Windex used to clean any residue left from the Acitone (degreaser)?

Yep! the acetone removes other residues well and Windex removes acetone residue well; when the Windex evaporates it leaves a residue free surface.

Do as Ed as suggested, I use Apple vinegar. It etches a lot slower but i don't have to mess around with a caustic acid and when I am done with it i can just pour it down the sink.

sometimes I leave the Damascus over night in the vinegar until i am happy with the look. Use those gloves when ever you handle the blade. i also dump baking soda on the blade when i have the blade how I want it to stop the etching.

Then i hand sand with 2000 grit to brighten the high spots for a good contrast.

Have fun.

Back