Press Book/DVD/Article

Gliden07

I think I'm going to try and build a Hydraulic press over the Winter. Does anyone have any recommendation for a book, article DVD etc... on building one. I got a free Log Splitter that needed a new motor (perfect!!), it is old but it all works. Need to make or copy a design.

I've heard "Build your own hydraulic forging press" by Jim Batson is the go to. It doesn't use a log splitter though. And from everything I've read a log splitter isn't really the way to go. Whatever you do please be careful with those types of forces if something breaks because of a bad weld or something you could very easily be killed so please be very, very careful.

Please be VERY cautious if you're intent is to use a log splitter as the basis for a forging press. It's just not built to handle that type of repetitive stress. It's all about the heat/cooling cycles, and the repetitions.

Also be cautious of the cylinder size.... as cylinder diameter decreases, required pressure to achieve a given level of force increases, and often times people exceed the limits of components without realizing what they are doing. Please, do your research, and understand the forces involved. I've said it before, and it always bears repeating..... I'd rather be talking to you....then about you.

Many folks who are looking to build a forging press, buy parts from: https://www.surpluscenter.com/

I built the batson H press from the book plans ABANA sells. It works well and wouldn't hesitate to recommend it. A highly worth while project and a tool that will change your forging substantially.

sourcing the metal can take some effort. I was lucky and had a metal dealer that sold small cuts. I paid the the yard man 40 bucks to cut the various metal pieces to size in his spare time from end cuts and stock he had laying around.

Some of the thicknesses that require welding are substantial and you need at least a 250amp welder. Again, not a deal breaker. I went to a local neighbor farmer that did metal fab work on the side and we used his welder as mine at the time was only 180amp. We used a MIG but a heavy buzz box with sticks can handle it also. Lot's of root passes and filler passes.

The hydraulic parts I got from Northern Tool. I installed and later removed the in line oil filter. It blew off twice with pressure pulses and sprayed oil all over. It's a closed system and nothing really can get into it so I didn't see much harm in taking it off. I'm sure some might disagree.

I mounted the motor and tank on a rolling frame and added hydraulic quick disconnects on the hoses so I could move the press (mounted on wheels) and the tank/motor (also on wheels) one part at a time.

Do make a shield of some sort for the hoses so when hot slag drips off the billets during a squeeze it doesn't melt a hole in a hose spraying 2,500psi oil all over.

look around the net for how dies can be mounted and changed out. I ended up changing mine from the plans a bit to make changing dies in and out a bit easier.

I ordered the book. Now need to find some Steel!!

I plan on reading the book and doing more research before I dive in I did have an idea for the oil tank and hoses. I was going to Fab 1 of the posts out of 6x6 or 8x8 3/8" wall and use that as a support and tank, mount pump on the bottom between the 2 uprightsand use black pipe on the other upright to plumb the cylinder up top? Again an idea that makes sense to me now but after reading etc... who knows?? I also have a portable hydraulic unit that is for a portable car lift. Just not sure if it will supply enough oil to cycle fast enough and stay cool enough to work?? Ideas swirling in my congested brain!!

that kinda makes sense.
3/8" thick sq tube is going to be expensive unless you have a source. I would bet it's made, I've just never seen it.
I don't think the car lift unit will work. I'm thinking it's going to be too slow.

A slow press requires more time in the squeeze. More time in the squeeze is going to suck heat out of the billet quickly. You will hate life.

that kinda makes sense.
3/8" thick sq tube is going to be expensive unless you have a source. I would bet it's made, I've just never seen it.
I don't think the car lift unit will work. I'm thinking it's going to be too slow.

A slow press requires more time in the squeeze. More time in the squeeze is going to suck heat out of the billet quickly. You will hate life.

I need to read and educate myself on the design before I do anything just figured I'd start the thought process. I know some of the ideas I have are sound but it has to be safe first!

I need to read and educate myself on the design before I do anything just figured I'd start the thought process. I know some of the ideas I have are sound but it has to be safe first!
They do make square tube in 3/8". They use in structural applications all the time. We stock 10x10 down to 3x3. PM me your address and I'll send a book that has the most common sizes of structural material.

They do make square tube in 3/8". They use in structural applications all the time. We stock 10x10 down to 3x3. PM me your address and I'll send a book that has the most common sizes of structural material.

Ty sent you a PM on my address.

I know I'm gonna have to calculate the volume I need for the tank. I may be able to use a smaller tube also. I need to get the book read it, disassemble the log splitter and see if i can ID the pump size etc...

Back