Problem with Drill Press

hi, remember, it is all about SPEED AND FEED
go to eBay or Google and search for M35 or M42 drill bits; they are cobalt high speed steel. should be able to find Made In USA bits for a reasonable price. while there, also search for a #2 combined drill and countersink. We use these at the office for a centering drill. for most knife applications, the small drill tip should go most of the way thru, leaving you with a beveled pilot hole. Keep your speed down and use cutting oil. for O1(and it should work for other high carbon steel) 500-600 rpm should work well. you can tell you have the speed and feed right when instead of chips you have nice long curls, 3 or 4 inches long. when making a 1/4" hole, you should not be straining to pull the drill bit thru. be sure to clean your bit off between holes. I would also check that your drill table is level and the drill bit/chuck is square to the table.
the old sailor

I'm with Bruce, machinist screw bits (stubby bits) do not flex and are normally constructed of higher quality materials. Also, I know just about all of the lower priced drill presses are made in china but they do produce different grades of presses and HF is on the bottom. You may want to upgrade to a better " made in china" press. P.S. I have two new grand kids due here in December. The first thing I'm gonna do after they are born is look them over for a "made in china" stamp.

I'm with Bruce, machinist screw bits (stubby bits) do not flex and are normally constructed of higher quality materials. Also, I know just about all of the lower priced drill presses are made in china but they do produce different grades of presses and HF is on the bottom. You may want to upgrade to a better " made in china" press. P.S. I have two new grand kids due here in December. The first thing I'm gonna do after they are born is look them over for a "made in china" stamp.

:) They dont use stamps, they use them cheap stickers :)

Thanks Bruce! I now have part of my
milk shake backed up into my sinuses!:biggrin:

Last edited:

Yep...I have a few of the machinist screw bits and planning on getting more. I'm hoping to upgrade to something better soon too.

Can't help with the grand kids...mine have stamps that say Calvin Klein :biggrin:

I should add Grand-daughter is a fifteen year old princess

Last edited:
Back