Puppy wants some table scraps!

J

JMDesigns

I am just getting started out, and don't have the money to buy materials (student loans :rolleyes:). I am aching to get started and was hoping that some of you big dogs might have "leftovers" you weren't using. I'm going to try my hand at grinding out a blade or two, and coming up with my own bali/folder, and maybe a neck knife or two.

Any kind of steel scraps/bits that could make a nice folder/bali blade (or bigger :D) or thinner ti/steel that that could make liners and such. Any leftover bits of handle materials. Basically anything that you might toss in a scrap bin. I'm pretty creative when it comes to designing around the materials, so little odd shaped stuff is okay too.

Most of my design school projects came from the scrap bin, so I'm pretty good at "recycling" even the most "unusable" stuff. I'll put up build and finished pics of anything that comes of it of course. I've got all the tools together, and lots of "free" time right now, but not much in the way of funds for materials.

I'm also curious if any of you live in the Colorado area (I-25 corridor) as I would love to see a pro or two turn out a blade.

Hey there,

Congrats on getting the bug.....I have been hit hard and selling off everything/knives that I have bought recently to fund this new addiction.

I have been very fortunate to have had help from a handful of Makers here and elsewhere. Let me go dig through some stuff and I will see about getting you a piece of steel maybe some handle material to get you started. It wont be much as I need it to make my first knives as well....lol Just figured I would give back a little from every ones generosity.

Send me your address and I will try and get you enough to make a blade2thumbs

I am sure others will chime in and offer up at the least some starting points if not a lot more:D

Best to you and good luck.

I am still sheetrocking my shop and hope to get started grinding next weekend2thumbs2thumbs

Kris

I am just getting started out, and don't have the money to buy materials (student loans :rolleyes:). I am aching to get started and was hoping that some of you big dogs might have "leftovers" you weren't using. I'm going to try my hand at grinding out a blade or two, and coming up with my own bali/folder, and maybe a neck knife or two.

Any kind of steel scraps/bits that could make a nice folder/bali blade (or bigger :D) or thinner ti/steel that that could make liners and such. Any leftover bits of handle materials. Basically anything that you might toss in a scrap bin. I'm pretty creative when it comes to designing around the materials, so little odd shaped stuff is okay too.

Most of my design school projects came from the scrap bin, so I'm pretty good at "recycling" even the most "unusable" stuff. I'll put up build and finished pics of anything that comes of it of course. I've got all the tools together, and lots of "free" time right now, but not much in the way of funds for materials.

I'm also curious if any of you live in the Colorado area (I-25 corridor) as I would love to see a pro or two turn out a blade.

Thank you Kris! That would be fantastic - I'll pm you my information right away.

Hey there,

Congrats on getting the bug.....I have been hit hard and selling off everything/knives that I have bought recently to fund this new addiction.

I have been very fortunate to have had help from a handful of Makers here and elsewhere. Let me go dig through some stuff and I will see about getting you a piece of steel maybe some handle material to get you started. It wont be much as I need it to make my first knives as well....lol Just figured I would give back a little from every ones generosity.

Send me your address and I will try and get you enough to make a bloodworm's

I am sure others will chime in and offer up at the least some starting points if not a lot more:D

Best to you and good luck.

I am still sheet rocking my shop and hope to get started grinding next weekend2thumbs2thumbs

Kris

Good lookin out !! helping out a student is good stuff and shows much character. 2thumbs

PM me your address. I'll throw a few things in a box for you.
t

Thanks a lot Tracy! Sounds like I'm going to be turning out my first knife soon, blade & all.

When you get it laid out and started, let us know whats still missing.
Sure we can hustle up whatever it is.
and be sure to POST PIX along the way bud :)

I surely will guys. Thank you rocksalt for your generosity. I'm itching to get started on something - need to turn my tools and knowledge into money! I've always had an affinity for all things "pointy" lol.

:running dog::bud::running dog: Jm designs, Rob here with Bad Dogs Burl Source, just signed on as a new member last night, see your plight..I have some stabilized scales that just do not make the cut, they may have small checks or ?? Black/White Ebony, Tasmanian Eucalyptus burl, Lace sheoak, and others, if you still want some handle material, send me an E-mail with your address and I can help you out.

Back