Question about wood handle material.

phatjohn

Hello everyone,

I just got some new handle material that I've never worked with before. What is the best way/your method to finish Kingwood and cocobolo? From my research, both are in the rosewood family and should be very oily and not need stabilization. So would a CA finish or Teak/Tung/Tru oil finish be in order with a final few coatings of a paste wax? Please share what you would do to finish this material.

Thanks in advance,

John

I used to use a lot of Cocobolo before I became allergic to it and had to stop using it. Watch breathing the dust and wear long sleeve clothing when working it to keep the dust off your skin.

I would just hand finish to 1000 grit and buff with white Fabulouster compound or any paste wax will do.

It is in the Rosewood family and I don't think you could stabilize it if you wanted too. Very oily stuff right from nature.

Kingwood works the same.

Have fun!

Ad already said. These woods tend to be very stable and easy to finish. IME. Most oil finishes wont take well because the wood is already oily. and it can and often will repel the finish. It can be done, but the dry time is about 3X what it would be with other woods. and then the finish is often less then good. This also depends on the piece. I have worked a few pieces of cocobolo that sucked up a oil finish.

I have found buffing and wax as a acceptable way to finish these materials. :)

Have fun and stay safe
Randy

Back