Question of why???

Cliff...it was more a general reminder to all including me....You did not say anything out of order.

My point was for all of us critiquing work of other makers to not make the function of something the basis of whether or not it looks good...we all go through phases of life and our tastes change. Some of us are very practical in design....others more artistic and less concerned with what a feature does rather than how it looks(to them).

I tend to be of a more practical nature and often critical of things I deem impractical...If I was overlord...there'd be one car model on the planet painted in one color...but I am working on loosening up a bit... I haven't said " ....that looks STUPID! " in a long while now....

If the shoe doesn't fit don't wear it...lol

I would agree that it's a substitute for a single branch guard to keep the finger from riding up sharp edge of the blade.

Doug

And the single or double guard was a function of the fighting knife so it was there to stop the opponents blade getting to the hand much more than it was to stop riding up onto the bade by the user.
It is a visual addition as much as anything on the majority of knives now.

And the single or double guard was a function of the fighting knife so it was there to stop the opponents blade getting to the hand much more than it was to stop riding up onto the bade by the user.
It is a visual addition as much as anything on the majority of knives now.

Precisely what i was going to say. I have never been using a knife and felt it needed a guard. (Were I involved in trench warfare facing bayonets I’d change my tune really quick!)

I do offer knives with guards because people like the look. Some designs call for them in my opinion. On knives that require plunging to cut such as fillet knives, I shape the handle to provide a stop for the hand.

Horses for courses.

I use it on hunters, and it can get in the way when skinning etc. why i have it is to have a larger radius choil that will still end at 90 degrees to the tip, that is more comfy to my hand when choking up on it and applying force... i feel it is more secure when things get wet. I also use the extra leverage to control the knife with the second from front digit of my pointer finger... i hate the idea of notches and oin holes right above each other in the middle of the knife... i just see stressrisers

Back