Question on hidden pins

J.D. Hill

If you were making a knife with hidden pins and the scales were G10 what material would you use for the pins. I have micarta, cold steel, stainless, aluminium, and brass.
Thanks for your time
Jeff

I personally would use the micarta for adhesion reasons.

I would also cut the pins to length and spin them in my lathe or drill press and needle file some annular rings in them to create more adhesion surface.

A pin that is not peened or doesnt have a head to create a mechanical bond such as a corby, can be subject to failure from age of adhesive, humidity or concussion (ALL knives will be dropped).

Just my 2 cents.

Steve

You mention some very good points. Take a wood chisel, place it between the scale and the tang on any glued up, pinned or even pinned and peened knife (that you were asked to replace the handle on) and tap the chisel with a hammer. Add to that equation the breakdown of the chemical bond (epoxy) over time, differential expansion/contraction, flex and shock and the discussion about hidden pins becomes a short one.

I personally would use the micarta for adhesion reasons.

I would also cut the pins to length and spin them in my lathe or drill press and needle file some annular rings in them to create more adhesion surface.

A pin that is not peened or doesnt have a head to create a mechanical bond such as a corby, can be subject to failure from age of adhesive, humidity or concussion (ALL knives will be dropped).

Just my 2 cents.

Steve

29classic, IMO Hidden pins can be a good way to attach a handle or guard. But its a little more work and can be tricky to do it right. I agree there must be a mechanical connection especially with materials like G10 or marcarta. or carbon fiber, basically any of the synthetics I have tested or used.

A reliable set can be achieved by chamfering the inside of the holes drilled into the scales. Then peaning the pins so they flare inside the chamfered/holes in the scale.. The best material I have found for this is Aluminum pins. But you can also use brass .. These are softer which allows them to flare easier and more completely. That, with good surface prep and proper adhesive for the materials being used will result in a very secure and reliable means of doing Hidden pins!

That said.. I would not recommend trying this on a knife made using G10 or marcarta. Both do not like to be glued to anything. So when using these materials, even with proper prepping of the surfaces, and good epoxy they need a mechanical bond more then most other handle materials.

Last edited:
I appreciate all of yalls suggestions. I think with this one I'm gonna dig up some hardware to attach the scales. The scales on the knife in question are pretty thin so I think I'll hold off on the hidden pins until I'm working with some thicker material.
Thanks for your time
Jeff

Back