Railey’s KITH for DeMo (WIP)

Here is the Demo billet now. With the ends cut and billet halved we have about 5.750 X 1.750 x .750 thick.
E619F47B-1AF6-48C2-967F-2090BB0CD8B2.jpeg

Today I will start by fullering to width. Some watching this have not forged so I am gonna put a little basic forge work in too. Generally speaking to fuller means to widen a billet or to put a groove into something in a parallel direction. This squishes steel to the sides making the billet wider.54553E3F-2FA3-40E7-8C68-188B423A6385.jpegED70E827-24A9-4F94-9141-3D7DD40A2D46.jpegB075BC45-A714-41AA-A53A-80F9F7A643E6.jpeg
You can see the parallel grooves have made the billet wider. We are over two inches wide now. The peen on a hand hammer moves steel in the same way. Use it as a straight peen (parallel) to make the steel wider or use it cross peen (perpendicular) to make the billet longer. If you watch FIF this is one of the main things that cause people to lose. They have no idea how to widen a billet with a fuller. They keep hitting it on drawing dies praying for width and end up with a long narrow thin billet. “For the lack of a fuller, the war was lost” -Chris Railey

Last edited:
Here is the Demo billet now. With the ends cut and billet halved we have about 5.750 X 1.750 x .750 thick.
View attachment 81911

Today I will start by fullering to width. Some watching this have not forged so I am gonna put a little basic forge work in too. Generally speaking to fuller means to widen a billet or to put a groove into something in a parallel direction. This squishes steel to the sides making the billet wider.View attachment 81915View attachment 81916View attachment 81917
You can see the parallel grooves have made the billet wider. We are over two inches wide now. The peen on a hand hammer moves steel in the same way. Use it as a straight peen (parallel) to make the steel wider or use it cross peen (perpendicular) to make the billet longer. If you watch FIF this is one of the main things that cause people to lose. They have no idea how to widen a billet with a fuller. They keep hitting it on drawing dies praying for width and end up with a long narrow thin billet. “For the lack of a fuller, the war was lost” -Chris Railey
Agree.

I am curious though.....why did you fuller the billet wider when you already had 1.75" of width?

Mainly because the can is still on there and sometimes when you squish that can it’ll roll in and cause a cold shut area on the edge so I always go about a half inch of total width wider than I need.

Last edited:
Back