Railey’s KITH for DeMo (WIP)

It kept warping when cooling after I finished forging it. The first two times I heated it back up, straightened it and left it in the forge to cool slow. The third time I ran it through an annealing cycle in my kiln then straightened it cold. That one took and it stayed straight when I hardened it and through tempering. I have never had that trouble before I wonder if it were due to the 15 degree weather here.

It kept warping when cooling after I finished forging it. The first two times I heated it back up, straightened it and left it in the forge to cool slow. The third time I ran it through an annealing cycle in my kiln then straightened it cold. That one took and it stayed straight when I hardened it and through tempering. I have never had that trouble before I wonder if it were due to the 15 degree weather here.
Nicely done! Thanks for sharing.

Good WIP showing the forging steps. Looks like this blade is getting ready to be knocked out of the park!

I'm looking forward to the pattern.

Good WIP showing the forging steps. Looks like this blade is getting ready to be knocked out of the park!

I'm looking forward to the pattern.
Thanks Ken. I tried a little test etch but my ferric chloride has been comprimised so it was kind of, Meh. I left the lid off of it and it poured rain in the jug for a couple of days before I noticed it. I have ordered more but I think it will look better after I grind it. I had to go back to my real job today but I hope to do some work tonight when I get home.

Thanks Ken. I tried a little test etch but my ferric chloride has been comprimised so it was kind of, Meh. I left the lid off of it and it poured rain in the jug for a couple of days before I noticed it. I have ordered more but I think it will look better after I grind it. I had to go back to my real job today but I hope to do some work tonight when I get home.
I miss working a real job……not;)
But thank you for your work Chris.

I am jealous of you retired people all the time...I am kind of like a prisoner...I have 5-10 years left (pending econcomy) then I'm out.
I worked 45 years for the power company. I was very blessed to have a great employer and more blessed to having survived multiple downsizing.

I am very much enjoying my retirement. I never had a company retirement plan, only what I had the discipline to put back over the years in the "retirement" acct of my own IRA type of things. You young folks, keep working and paying SS taxes so my SS money will keep coming :)

Alright back to work. Grinding has begun. This is how I grind my blades. That is a file guide and a Bubble Jig from Fred Rowe. All the bubble jig does is it gives me a reference point to start with so I know I am at a consistent angle. I am fairly ADD so the bubble gives me something to focus on during the motion across the platen. At this point I could grind without it by muscle memory but I still use it to help my focus. Primary bevel starts at 60 grit and finishes with 400.
4529D605-37B7-4C54-AE86-02FFA581EA8A.jpeg8C86DFB3-9DDE-4FDE-BDA8-AA0B7157DF1F.jpeg

Alright back to work. Grinding has begun. This is how I grind my blades. That is a file guide and a Bubble Jig from Fred Rowe. All the bubble jig does is it gives me a reference point to start with so I know I am at a consistent angle. I am fairly ADD so the bubble gives me something to focus on during the motion across the platen. At this point I could grind without it by muscle memory but I still use it to help my focus. Primary bevel starts at 60 grit and finishes with 400.
View attachment 81964View attachment 81965
That's exactly the same method I use. Looking good!

New ferric chloride is here and I have a little time so into the etch until I like it. While the blade is etching I set up for the Gun Kote.
0AB961E6-B388-4B86-BB25-6214996C1A3A.jpeg
I begin by shaking the stuff up for five minutes. I actually set a timer and shake for 5 minutes. I had a few problems when I first started using it and that was the advice I got from KG. Since I started doing that, I have had no trouble. After the shake up, I get my air brush ready. Ed is the one who taught me how to do Gun Kote and he uses an air brush so you can adjust spray volume. I do not want the knife to look like its coated in plastic so I use a fine, fine mist so you can just see the stuff coming out.
54EB2DF9-07D6-4E58-8DEA-6837FDDAAC2E.jpeg
The cheapo HF one works fine. Once the knife is etched I neutralize the acid and hose it off with water. After water I flood it with rubbing alcohol and finish by blowing air from my compressor. Then spray it with the Gun Kote. I have made a simple holder so no parts of the knife are touched during the curing process. 2 hours at 300f.
95141E0C-0FAB-4DD5-9851-23FE8812AEBD.jpeg4D2DD200-5E94-4C35-966C-58F30D69A34E.jpeg
Into the kiln for 2 hours at 300f.

That's a neat looking pattern. Can you share a bit about the can layout?
Thanks John. Its totally random. About 2/3 of the can was filled with pieces as long as the can. I filled the rest with smaller pieces. I am way too ADD to put the pieces in any kind of order where I have to remember where things are. That long piece at the bottom is really cool and I can tell that is edge grain from a piece that landed that way in the can and was drawn out with the billet. Its my favorite can so far.

Back