Recommendation on Band Saw blades?

Sean Jones

Hello I've been given a Sears Craftsman 10" Band Saw as an early Christmas present. Since it was a demo model it didn't come with any blades and I'm wondering what are the best general purpose band saw blades for knife making?

I did a search and didn't find much mention about brands or teeth types....

I'm thinking I would want a couple for wood and several for steel.

It takes 70 1/2 " blades

Thanks in advance for any help

I think your saw may run too fast to cut steel. Most everybody uses a 4" x 6" vertical/horizontal with a 1/2" and 14 -16 teeth per inch. Your saw may work great for handle materials with an 8-10 teeth per inch.

Oh for brand I still think Lenex die-master II is about as good as they get.

Last edited:
That saw will work for wood only, It moves to fast for Steel. For wood bookmatching/Ripping handle scales sets, That's with the grain, I use a 3 Tooth hook blade 3/4' Band saw blade.

Laurence

www.rhinoknives.com

If it's the 3 wheel 10"......
Good luck on finding metal cutting blades. I've had one of those lieing UNDER my bench for a few years. I was told that the radius on the wheels is too tight to keep the weld from breaking on metal cutting blades. That's beside the speed and tracking problems I had. Someday it's going to make a fine 1/4" belt sander.lol. I've tried giving it away a few times but no takers. It can't beat my portaband and 4x6.

Rudy

Get the wood slicer from highland woodworking. I just got the same saw and withe addition of this blade it's a great little addition to the shop.

Thanks for the input...
I talked with one of our electric guys at work and he thought I could try a variable rheostat designed for motors to slow it down. not certain about that yet.In the mean time I'll just use it for wood.

You'll. Need a VFD (variable frequency drive) to change the speed on the motor. What's the HP on the motor?sometimes I can get an old VFD from work that they are getting rid of.

Just use it for wood. Save your pennies and get yourelf a Harbor Freight metal bandsaw next. You can get their portaband for well under $100 and it will do the trick until you can afford a good one down the road.

Thanks for the information guys. It's a nice little saw...Frankly I was planning on waiting until I could afford a good metal band saw. I don't believe my family knows that it won't cut steel that well. But it should work well for handle material.

You'll. Need a VFD (variable frequency drive) to change the speed on the motor. What's the HP on the motor?sometimes I can get an old VFD from work that they are getting rid of.

Wouldn't the motor have to be 3 phase to use a vfd?

I found it out the hard way, but your saw wont work for metal as stated here. I went the harbor frieght road, got a 250 dollar band saw and set it up to cut vertical. it works great once you learn to use it, like most tools. set it on the slowest speed and get to work. the 20 dollar blades are worth the money for sure, and be patient and let the saw do the work. you will be cutting out some nice blades in no time :)

thanks everyone....Those that bought me the band-saw didn't know. I think I will keep it that way unless they point blank ask me. I'm going to save up for a band saw that will cut steel. However I have a grinder build to finish first. I might do a WIP on the grinder...though I'm rather slow at all of this. Wife keeps finding other projects for me :)

Back