Red, Blood Red

I thought I saw someone was stabilizing horse poop that would be something not alot of people have or would really want to work with imagine the smell of that when grinding ha ha

This is the "Pasturewood" I referred to.:nothing:

Chris

"Hey guys. I am looking for a light weight, durable handle material in blood red."

HHH - I went through this about 6 months ago. I was looking for a specific color of red. G10 red was not the right color red. I was looking for Nebraska Cornhusker red. G10 is more like Alabama red or Texas A&M red.

I found what I was looking for in Corian countertop material. It is made by Dupont. It is a manmade product. I'm sorry but it is not very exotic. Definitely not unicorn horn.

But, it comes in hundreds of colors and patterns. Relatively easy to find in different sizes. Heck, if you know an installer or cabinet maker you can probably pick it up for free, or close to it. Just ask for a sample of the colors you desire. A small cut off piece from an install job will last a long time if you just use it for spacers and such.

With G10 it normally gets darker as you finish it out. Especially if you use WD-40 to finish. With corian - it is much less pronounced darkening, if any. Further, over time it does not fade.

I can tell you it is better to work with than G10. It shapes and sands the same way as G10 or stabilized wood. It is very easy to work with corian. On Dupont's website you can see all the colors. I'm unsure whether I am supposed to post a link but you can do a google search pretty easily. Lots of suppliers on the internet carry corian. Even a few knife material places. Scales can be cut on a bandsaw. Blocks are usually available. I am unsure about rods.

Remember, it is countertop material and it wears like iron on a knife. Relatively water proof, scratch resistant, durable material. Like G10 - almost a perfect fit for knife handles.

If you want the color "Hot" I have a piece that is roughly 5/8 x 2 x 5. I would send it to you - just let me know.

Another option you may have is I have seen some interesting patterns in G10. If you get on a site for masecraft - you can look at the various offerings for G10. I cannot remember the name but their is a website from Great Britain that had this posted for sale also. They offer straight colors but also some very interesting patterns. This includes some interesting patterns like zebra, cheetah, tortoise shell, etc. Again, not really exotic - just a bit different in an easy to use knife material.

I will state, I am a big fan of your musk ox horn knives. Simply stunning stuff. Hint-hint!

Good luck.

DeMo

I was working with the Corian material for a handle as well , I happened to drop a scale on the cement and it shattered , decided it was not for me.

IMG_4979.JPGIMG_4980.JPGIMG_4981.JPG

I believe that these are the last large pieces of CORIAN "HOT" red left in captivity.
This color has been discontinued for years and we have none left. This stuff polishes like diamonds and holds it's color forever. We have made tens of thousands of counter tops from Corian in it's heyday, (out of style now) and never had breakage problems.
The 2 strips are 24" and 28" long. The chunk is about 14" x 8" and all are .500 thick. It is 100% acrylic.

I really don't want to sell it, but......... if someone can't live without it, I would sell the strips for $30.00 each and the big piece for $60.00 or some kind of juicy trade.

If not, I'd gladly keep it. I need to leave something behind to the wife and kids.

regards,
Steve

Last edited:
Thanks guys for the help and suggestions. Lots of great stuff.

Steve. I couldn't take these knowing they will be your family's inheritance. lol But thanks for the offer.I bet 3 other guys PM you by the end of the day for them!! :D

Back