Repair question - Knife / Bayonet from late Vet

Eddie Mullins

I have been asked if I could "tighten up" this bayonet. It now belongs to the daughter of the vet who brought it back home and has passed on. I have only seen pictures but the handle is thought to be a rubber material and it and the guard are now loose. It looks like the tang passes through the pommel and is peened over. I think all it should need is to be peened more to tighten up. I want to help repair it, but don't want to damage it. should I heat it before peening?

Any thoughts on how to proceed with this?

11668154_912802438766773_1682034283_n.jpg

11668164_912802495433434_2007071771_n.jpg

there is also some rust on the blade but they want the patina left. Not sure how to remove one and leave the oother.

11657288_912802395433444_326711109_n.jpg

Reading the description, and looking at the pics, I suspect that the handle is leather....possibly with some type of coating. Were it me, I would closely inspect it, and if the handle is leather, soak the handle for 2-3 days in mineral oil and see if it "swells" up and tightens everything. If it doesn't, no harm done....just clean up the mineral oil and proceed with the mechanical manipulation. If the handle "swells" and things tighten up, remove it from the mineral oil, and let it sit on a clean rag for a few days, until it no longer "weeps".

What you can do is going to depend on just how much "change" the owner is willing to accept. Chances are good that if you try to heat/peen the tang, its going to damage the handle. Since as a general rule, those type of tangs were not hardened, you should be able to peen the tang cold.....just be gentle because you never know how much the tang itself has rusted/rotted over the years.

Its always a tricky proposition working on something that old and weathered.....personally I would make it very clear to the owner that there is a possiblity that trying to "fix" it could cause more harm then good, and that there is a risk of doing terminal damage to it while trying to repair it. Then, base your decision on the owner's response.

Ed, thanks for the response. My first thought was leather, but they said rubber, so I went with it. Hopefully the mineral soak will work, I hadn't thought about swelling the handle.

I am leery about the "mechanical manipulation" because as you say, who knows what condition the tang is in. What I have told them is to send it to me, and if I am not comfortable I will pay the return shipping and send it back as I received it. My Dad is also a vet so I can relate and want to help if possible.

Back