Resizing photos

C Craft

I am trying to post some photos to a thread and I keep getting a message the upload file is too large. So what is the accepted pixel size, with and height when posting to the forum??

I have had the same problem and I cannot figure it out either. I read on here that you can upgrade your membership and gain the ability to upload more. Next knife I sell I am going to do so if for no other reason than to support the site. I will let you know if it works.

Resize the photo to around 300 pixels (either dimension) (or 150 to 300kb) and you'll have a good size for posting to forums. There's no point in posting a meg size image, you can't tell the difference anyway. If you're using LInux then Gimp or Pinta are both good photo editing programs - and FREE!!! Back in the "bad old days" of Windoz I used PhotoShop, but that's sorta on the pricey side, or was back then.

With Windoz you can:
Using Paint in Windows
  1. Make a copy of the image file. ...
  2. Open the image in Paint. ...
  3. Select the entire image. ...
  4. Click the "Resize" button. ...
  5. Use the "Resize" fields to change the size of the image. ...
  6. Click "OK" to see your resized image. ...
  7. Drag the canvas edges to match the resized image. ...
  8. Save your resized image.

Resize the photo to around 300 pixels (either dimension) (or 150 to 300kb) and you'll have a good size for posting to forums. There's no point in posting a meg size image, you can't tell the difference anyway. If you're using LInux then Gimp or Pinta are both good photo editing programs - and FREE!!! Back in the "bad old days" of Windoz I used PhotoShop, but that's sorta on the pricey side, or was back then.

With Windoz you can:
Using Paint in Windows
  1. Make a copy of the image file. ...
  2. Open the image in Paint. ...
  3. Select the entire image. ...
  4. Click the "Resize" button. ...
  5. Use the "Resize" fields to change the size of the image. ...
  6. Click "OK" to see your resized image. ...
  7. Drag the canvas edges to match the resized image. ...
  8. Save your resized image.

Thanks Ken and actually are so correct!

I tried two or three of the so called free resizers . What they don't tell you is that after 30 days it is no longer free. One I tried had a lot of features that might have been useful but every time you resized a photo you had to agree that this was being used by a private individual and not for commercial use. I could never figure out how to get my pics back from the resizer. So dumped all of their programs!

I went back to the net and read some and figured out in Windows 10 you can actually resize in paint and it is easy. There are some other edit features in paint, that may or may not be what you want!! I get my photos resized and I don't have somebody in my PC I don't want there!!

Oh and one other thing if you resize in paint click on the pixels to resize and keep the ratio. When you reduce the top number to 800 by keeping the ration it automatically resizes the pic to 800 X 600 and the forum will accept that!

Been wondering about that myself. I have a lot of photos I’d like to upload but got that message on almost everything. Thanks for the tips.

What I often do to resize photos, is to save them on my computor, then select them, and make as if to send them on an e-mail.
Outlook then gives you the option to resize the photos. I select the smallest resizing option possible and resize. Then I let the mail go to Draft box. I then open the mail in the draft box, select the photos and save them back to my computor and Voila! they are loadable to KnifeDogs forums

Last edited:
the super easy way with cell phone pics is to take the photo from farther back. Set your focus to the part you want to keep. Snap the pic, then crop the pic to that part you wanted to keep.

Effectively you are cutting the center out of an image, and by doing that you are greatly reducing the file size.

Like Ken says, for web use the resultant picture will look just fine.

the super easy way with cell phone pics is to take the photo from farther back. Set your focus to the part you want to keep. Snap the pic, then crop the pic to that part you wanted to keep.

Effectively you are cutting the center out of an image, and by doing that you are greatly reducing the file size.

Like Ken says, for web use the resultant picture will look just fine.

Aw, come on John, I still got a flip-phone and pictures suck and they don't even have the software available to download my pics to the PC it is so old!! One of these day I am gonna have to bite the bullet but, they want to much for those smart phones!!

On a related note! I recently bought a new printer and it can be ran in two modes, dumb like me mode or smart device mode!! I thought what do I need smart device compatible...…………. printer for?

Back