Roadkill Rattler

joe sangster

Here are a couple of sheaths made with roadkill canebreak rattlers.

standard.jpg

standard.jpg

standard.jpg

standard.jpg

standard.jpg

standard.jpg

Thanks for looking:bud:

Joe Sangster

Great looking sheaths Joe.Love that rattler, nice colors.Dave 2thumbs

Thanks for the compliments , fellows ! WadeH , these are roadkills brought to me by friends . I do my own tanning.

Joe

Beautiful work! Can't even see the tire tracks anymore...:D Do you have to back up the snake skin with anything or just sew it in as-is? Though about trying this myself but don't want to mess up a skin experimenting.
Very well done, thanks for sharing the photos with us.
Bruce

Bruce , leather cut out for the overlay is glued underneath the skin to give it support & depth. Rather labor intense but worth it ! If you have not seen Wild Rose's sheath CD , I highly recommend it

Thanks for the compliments.

Joe

Bruce,
Look at Dave Cole's sticky above . He has a good tutorial on inlays at his website that I just noticed. Dave helped me several yrs ago with my inlays & tanning of snakeskin . Great guy !

Joe

That's recycling mother nature's resources at its greatest. Heck of a nice job on those sheaths. They look great.

Those are excellent . Ide like to ask you some questions. Do you shape the sheath to the knife and if so when cuzz its hard to get the snake skin to lay without wrinckles when its molded before. I would also like to know do you hand sew or machine. Cuzz thats alot of stitching wow. Also do you water proof the leather same as vetable tan with like eco super sheen after. thanks kellyw

Thanks for the compliments , friends ! Hellgap , each sheath is custom made for the specific knife , wetmolding just as you do veg tanned cowhide. All is the sewing is by hand. I waterproof same as my regular sheaths . It is tricky getting the snakeskin flat without wrinkling but easier if you do it while the contact cement is still slightly wet so you can still shift things around a bit.

Joe

Back