Royal Impala

Raymond Richard

Forum Owner & Moderator
This knife was a royal pain. First time using a piece of impala horn. The blade was part of another knife I assembled at least 15 years ago. It just didn't look right in the configuration it was in before and there were times I wish I had left it alone. The older I get I find if I take to long a break from knife making the longer it takes me to remember how to do things so most my time was spent relearning what I had forgotten.

I can't remember what steel was used for the blade but I recall using 1060 or 1065 back about that time. The blade is 7 1/2" and the over all knife is just over 12". The guard is wagon wheel wrought iron and the butt is mild steel. Now to see if I remember how to attach a photo.

Attachments

• IMG_6086.jpg
    IMG_6086.jpg
    675.5 KB · Views: 48
  • IMG_6087.jpg
    IMG_6087.jpg
    724.7 KB · Views: 47
That’s really nice!! I have some sheep horn scales in my material drawer that I’ll get around to eventually but that’s totally different than a hidden tang Impala. I wouldn’t even know where to start. Great job!

as I said elsewhere but it bears repeating...
i have an order for three of my light hunters with impala horn (it will turn up in a month or two I believe) so I was really interested in seeing what you have done with this one. I had intended to do full tang but your stick tang gives the horn its full visual and handling impact.
Your interpretation of a horn handled knife is really inspirational.

Looks good.
When you going to use that Musk Ox horn I gave you ?
Send me an email your old address does not work.

Thanks for the kind words.

Working with the impala horn depends so much on the shape and size of the horn itself. Every knife I have made for the last 20 years has been through tangs. Not even sure I could do a full tang knife anymore.

Cal, I did try cutting a piece of the musk ox horn but didn't have much luck with it. Been thinking of trying to stack smaller pieces of it to make a handle. Hope your doing well.

I looks...……………………..'just right' in that configuration. Beautiful piece.

Back