San Mai Bowie

opaul

I ordered a piece of San Mai billet from Dion Damascus that I'm grinding for my next Bowie. You may recall I had a post earlier and asked if anyone was familiar with Dion Damascus. This is the blade sanded to 600 grit and etched to see the pattern. I also order a couple pieces of damascus but have not started a grind on them yet.

That looks good Opaul. The outside apoears to have a pattern. Is it damascus with a mono steel core?
Thanks. The core is .025" 1091 with a .025" Ni layer on each side followed by 100 layers or alternating 1095 and 420hc. At least that is what the web site shows.

I know this is most likely a dumb question but does San Mai always show up the layers like that, they look lovely.

I know this is most likely a dumb question but does San Mai always show up the layers like that, they look lovely.
I would say no. The San Mia from Dion is many layers as this supplier uses a different technique to achieve the San Mai. The web site explains his process. I think typical San Mia has two or three different type steel but I'm sure that varies.

I would say no. The San Mia from Dion is many layers as this supplier uses a different technique to achieve the San Mai. The web site explains his process. I think typical San Mia has two or three different type steel but I'm sure that varies.

I believe your right? I think it's like a sandwich High-Carbon core being the "MEAT" and the "BREAD" being what you use on the outside of the billet, usually a softer steel.

Thanks. The core is .025" 1091 with a .025" Ni layer on each side followed by 100 layers or alternating 1095 and 420hc. At least that is what the web site shows.
1091 ? I haven't heard of 1091 before. Or was that just a typo?
That looks really nice

I gotta assume that was a typo......likely meant 1095? What confuses me about the mix is the 420hc. I don't understand why it would be used. It's .46 Carbon, 13% Chromium, .30 Vanadium, .40 MN, and .40 Si. So it doesn't aid in contrast, and doesn't really lend any benefits. It's very likely that it will cause issues of warping during heat treat, due to it's lack of "compatibility" with 1095 (or 1091)..... the expansion and contraction rates differ widely.....and is generally a recipe for warpage. Hope I'm dead wrong, and there are no issues during heat treat.....but just beware, and be cautious.

I gotta assume that was a typo......likely meant 1095? What confuses me about the mix is the 420hc. I don't understand why it would be used. It's .46 Carbon, 13% Chromium, .30 Vanadium, .40 MN, and .40 Si. So it doesn't aid in contrast, and doesn't really lend any benefits. It's very likely that it will cause issues of warping during heat treat, due to it's lack of "compatibility" with 1095 (or 1091)..... the expansion and contraction rates differ widely.....and is generally a recipe for warpage. Hope I'm dead wrong, and there are no issues during heat treat.....but just beware, and be cautious.
Yes it was a typo - should have been 1095. No problems with post heat treat warping or any other issues.

Technically I believe it would be go mai not san mai because it's 5 layers. I'm not sure they are using any special techniques to make this. They call it solid phase bonding instead of forge welding. Its kind of like calling your garbage man a sanitation engineer.
Is that your way of saying my blade is garbage?

Is that your way of saying my blade is garbage?
No! I didn't say that and I'm sorry if you understood that to be my comment. A go mai blade has 5 layers. A San mai blade has 3 layers. The two layers of nickel make it go mai. The seller is using the term "Solid Phase Bonding". When I researched that term it describes what we normally call forge welding. He's using overly technical terms and that along with the prices and his material choices have me suspicious. Your knife looks great, as does the material. I'm hoping it turns out well.

No! I didn't say that and I'm sorry if you understood that to be my comment. A go mai blade has 5 layers. A San mai blade has 3 layers. The two layers of nickel make it go mai. The seller is using the term "Solid Phase Bonding". When I researched that term it describes what we normally call forge welding. He's using overly technical terms and that along with the prices and his material choices have me suspicious. Your knife looks great, as does the material. I'm hoping it turns out well.
I’m sorry I should have inserted a smiley face after my response- not to worry!
Sometimes typing doesn’t quite come out the same as having a conversation. My post was not I’ll intended at all. ;)

Back