Santoku style kitchen knife

jkf96a

Here's one I just finished for an Army lieutenant colonel. Blade is 1/8 1080, edge quenched, with brass bolsters and stabilized amboyna burl handles. OAL is 8 3/4" with a 4 1/4" blade.

100_2882-1024x682.jpg

Jason,

That is a beautiful knife. The brass works very well with the stabilized amboyna burl.

Well done!

JLaw

Since this is exactly the second "chef's knife" I've made, I don't know that my answer to your question would mean much. This one has a 600 grit hand finish.

Jason

I would guess that 40% of the knives I make are kitchen related. (I might make 20 kitchen knives a year)
I use to really stress about my finish on these blade until I had several folks ask me to "refinish" them because they got scratched up with use.

My answer to this was to start using a scotch brite finish. I supply all my new kitchen knives with a packet of green scotch brite pads and explain that if they get scratched, just hand "sand" them with the scotch brite. So far no returns for scratch removal!

I have worked in professional kitchens in the past and am a big fan of the Sontoku blade style. I have 3 on the bench currently.

Again, great job!!!

God Bless
Mike

Back