Saw steel bowie

Raymond Richard

Forum Owner & Moderator
I finished up this bowie today. 9" blade, iron and wrought iron fittings, and a walrus ivory handle. 14" overall. This was my first experience with walrus ivory. Now to figure out to do with the other piece of walrus ivory.

IMG_2099.JPG

IMG_2100.JPG

IMG_2101.JPG

That turned out really great Ray. That's my kind of knife. How did you like working with that ivory?

Larry

I like this one Ray. That ivory adds a classy touch. Send me the rest of the ivory if you want.

Bruce, I wouldn't have paid the ivory any attention if you hadn't kept going back to the ivory dealer across the isle from me at the Oregon Show last year. I'll hold onto the other piece just in case I get the urge to use it.

Larry, At first I was a little gun shy to use the ivory but after I got into it it wasn't any different than anything else. One thing I did find out is there were flaws that didn't appear until I started working on it so if I do buy anymore I'll take a closer look at it before I purchase it. It had one good size chip that really surprised me but I was able to grind it out. Flavor and smell was real similar to stag. Just a little saltier. :D

Back