screw applied handles.

HHH Knives

Super Moderator
Hello guys. I have a friend with some vintage Striders that he wants to add some textured G-10 handles. I dont know what screws to use on this, he would like the handles screw applied and to be able to be removed. and after looking at some of the options I am no further then I was B4 I started. The blades are 1/4" thick and each scale is 1/4" thick.

Anyone know what I need? Please advise.

Thanks

Could you just use a typical sex-bolt and counter sink the head into the handle? I use that or some of the handle fasteners Boss has...

Thanks Peter. That leads me to this question. Where do I get these Sex bolts? Does Boss offer them? I seen Chain bolts. Male and female in different sizes and colors. etc.

Aren't the tangs tapped on those? Most guys just use a button head or flat head screw, countersink the head into the handle and the tangs may be tapped already? There is very little contouring/shaping on some of those handles. Jantz sells threaded spacers to fit into larger tang holes so you can screw the handle material down if the holes aren't tapped.

Taz, These are Vintage custom pieces that are cord wrapped. I have not got them in my hand. But I am assuming there will be some holes, But that they are not tapped. If I have to drill holes then I have the technology! I just dont know what style bolts work best and can easily be removed by him when desired for cleaning etc.

Ah, ok, the real old cord wrapped ones!

The chain screws from USA Knifemaker will work if there are holes in the tang that the chain screws will fit into snugly. If the tang is skeletonized out a lot, maybe epoxy/weld some metal pieces into the gaps so you can either tap it or use the chain screws.

Hi Randy,
I use the textured g-10 a lot on my full tang knives. You can use the threaded folder pivots that come in 1/8" diameter with 2-56 threads or 3/16" with 4-40 threads. This allows you to use flat head screws or button head screws with the proper countersink. Very strong connection and when you assemble just use a drop of purple locktite for small screws.
Hope this helps!
Clint

Thanks guys for the info. Im gona take a look and order some for his knives. KNIFE DOGS RULES!!! :)

God Bless
Randy

Back