Sharpening questions

This is how I do it:
This helped many customers to develope the feel for the angle.Wedges are a good guide, simple to make and simple to use.
Sharpening out the wedge brings the edge( slight convex grind about 0,3 mm thin, secondary bevel) more close to the sharpening medium.
If round sharpener, drill slightly undersized hole, so it contacts even and may clamp with friction on the round sharpener.
If the blade has the right geometry, sharpening is easy, for everybody.
The thicker the bevel, the more steel you need to work off.
Sharp often, Sharp less!
There ist still a lot more to tell about this option but just giving it a try will tell even more.

Attachments

• SH1,k..jpg
    SH1,k..jpg
    145.9 KB · Views: 11
  • SH2,k..jpg
    SH2,k..jpg
    145.7 KB · Views: 10
  • SH3,k..jpg
    SH3,k..jpg
    136.3 KB · Views: 10
When you do a convex grind with a belt sander do you grind with the edge up so its cutting into the edge like when using a stone? Or do you go edge down like you would with a strop?

Thanks

I sharpen with the edge up, at about 11 to 25 degrees depending on the knife or tool and have a bucket of water and dip the blade before every pass.
After I have done my progression of 120 grit, 600 and 15 Micron I buff with Green Chrome on a tight stitch Muslin wheel with the edge down. Be very careful with buffing your edges or any sharp, pointy tool on a buffing wheel.

Back