Sheath Glue.

I use the same size welt as the sheath. I normally use 8 or 9 oz leather. This makes the seam where the welt is relatively thick. Usually I skive (thin) the body of the edges to 1/2 their original thickness. This prevents the edge from getting to thick and looking out of proportion.
Good idea. I made sheath and I felt the edge looked too thick With 3 layers of heavy weight leather.

I use the same leather for the welt, and double it up and skive the second piece to help shape the sheath. I think you can see the layers here. It really helps (along with the properly adjusted pattern) to fit the handle on a real deep sheath, and limits the stress of pulling on the top couple stitches.

CA36D3A2-3894-42D2-AB81-B7C9EECEA803.jpeg

I used to waste a whole lot of $$$ on cements that were specified to be "for leather", but as others mentioned, They'd end up drying out before I could use them, and the cost was significantly more than something like Weldwood contact adhesive (which is what I've used for several years now).
I use the same logic with leather as a do when making knives.... I can always take away....but never put back. With that in mind I oversize things, the glue is applied to each mating surface, allowed to dry for a few minutes, then once placed together, are hammered with a rubber faced mallet/hammer. It's not uncommon for me to trim on my wood cutting bandsaw, then go to the grinder with a fresh 50 grit, followed by a 220 for finishing edges.
Word to the wise.... don't try using clamps is you've dampened the leather for tooling or folding. Applying any type of clamp when the leather is damp/wet, will usually result in that imprint being there forever. ;)

I use E6000 get it at walmart - the stuff is incredibly strong. I have had occasion to disassemble sheaths and the leather is destroyed before this adhesive gives way. I place sheath on a 12in. long 4x6 block of wood and lay a 12 in. piece of 3/4 x 3 oak plank on the sheath with weights on top of the plank - this provides plenty of pressure on the glued area

I use E6000 get it at walmart
I had to smile at that. I have it in the shop, and use in mostly for gluing my Keen hiking/shop boots back together (hint, DON'T ever by Keen shoes/boots....they are god awful expensive, and only last a few months!) My Mom swears by E6000! ANYTHING that needs glue at her house.....gets E6000. It's very good stuff!! I'd never considered it for sheaths, but it does a fantastic job of holding the leather on shoes/boots..... so I can't see why it shouldn't be useful on sheath making too!

Last edited:
Also the tool I use to punch the holes, creates big Ho
I use E6000 get it at walmart - the stuff is incredibly strong. I have had occasion to disassemble sheaths and the leather is destroyed before this adhesive gives way. I place sheath on a 12in. long 4x6 block of wood and lay a 12 in. piece of 3/4 x 3 oak plank on the sheath with weights on top of the plank - this provides plenty of pressure on the glued area
i use the E6000 to attach metal bails to fused glass jewelry I make. Sometimes I need to pull one off. Amazing how strong that glue is.

Back