Sheath protection/conditioning??

Ernie Swanson

SASSY PINK LUUNCHBOX KNIFE MAKER
I just finished making my first sheath and was wondering what you all put on them as far as protection or conditioners?

Its fully dry from dyeing and wet forming now I need to make it a hair softer!!
not much just enough to not crack!!!

I noticed Tracy sells neatsfoot oil is that any good?

Thanks in advance!

I use Fieblings leather balm with atom wax followed by Fieblings Aussie leather conditioner. Very good combination for finishing sheaths, recommended to me by a local leather worker. The neatsfoot is a good product as well it is thin like cooking oil and soaks in good.

Will mink oil work or would that make the sheath to soft?

It is a pouch sheath with no hod down so I need it a little stiff to hold the knife in!!

Aussie is good, Lexol works well, I use pure neatsfoot many times depending on the item. Most of the time I follow up with some bag kote for the final finish.

I use Fieblings leather balm with atom wax followed by Fieblings Aussie leather conditioner. Very good combination for finishing sheaths, recommended to me by a local leather worker. The neatsfoot is a good product as well it is thin like cooking oil and soaks in good.

I use Fieblings leather balm with atom wax and I kinda like the hard sheath. But what does the Aussie leather conditioner do??and neatsfoot oil what does that do?? will it soak in?? and I thought that oil makes leather rot with age?

Back