Sheaths with beadwork?

C Craft

I have questions about what I would call American Indian style beadwork. Such as these sheaths posted by Chuck Borrows on page 2, of this thread.
http://knifedogs.com/showthread.php?p=25383#post25383 Perhaps Chuck will respond to this thread but, I am open to anyone with knowledge in this subject!

I want to learn more about the whole thing. I have tried a small project with the seed beads and it never got finished out of lack of knowledge and frustration. :mad:

The beads I attempted to sew, where attempted with a regular needle (a very small one) and regular sewing thread. The beads were wrong in color. I had a very hard time threading them on the needle, because even with a very small needle they barely fit over it and it wasn't any good for stitching into the suede style leather I was trying to sew the beads too.
The stitch I was trying to do was what they call a lazy stitch. I would love to learn more about this stitch too as it looks like to me that if one thread breaks you could lose the entire thing eventually. Maybe I am missing something or maybe there is something easier!

First what are the beads called and where do you order beads that would be of the proper coloration?

How do you sew them? I.E. (the type of stitch and thread and needle). Where is a good place to buy the needles for this type of work from?

Are there any good online tutorials on this type of beading?

I have always loved this type of bead work and I am determined to learn how to do it, any information that anyone can share would be greatly appreciated! :D

I haven't done any beading, and like you, I'm trying to learn. I picked up a couple of books on it, more like booklets, and they've helped me understand the process. The one book that I can locate now is "The Techniques of North American Indian Beadwork". I got it and the other from Amazon. It explains a lot. Plain thread won't work well, acording to the above book, you will need a nyon thread. There are also beading needles. If you don't have a craft store near you that sells such items, I'd google some like native american craft supply and see what that pulls up. They should also have books.

Doug Lester

Crazy Crow Trading Post has several good books on beading techniques as well as all the beads and other supplies you will need.Web address is www.crazycrow.comI am currently reading the above mentioned book and it is very informative, and Crazy Crow has it in stock.
As far as online tutorials you will find great info at www.nativetech.org

Last edited:
John, thanks for line on the tutorial! I knew of the Crazy Crow site. I just didn't know where to get needles or for that matter what to call, what I was looking for! I just knew a regular needle didn't work. I kind of felt like I was:bud:

It all depends on the time period and the look you're after:
1) Get the book on Indian knife sheaths by Alex Kozlov from Crazy Crow - he will take a bunch of the mystery out of making the entire sheath not just beading and it has many originals pictured - IIRC it's less than $20.00. Another valuable book is "Early Knives & Beaded Sheaths of the American Frontier" by John Baldwin - not cheap at $75.00, but it has a plethora of original sheaths all pictured in color.
2) All my beading is pre-1860 style and I use either 8/0 or 10/0 beads only which are fairly large - these are pony and seed beads. My main supplier is Crazy Crow - with either of these sizes you use size 9 or 10 Sharps needles not beading needles - the only exception is when you are doing a two needle appliqué stitch or a Crow Stitch, than you can use a longer beading type needle for stringing the beads on and a larger Sharps needled for tacking them down with. I prefer the old time bead colors, but the French ones are no longer being made and are in short supply, so I've started using the German made ones. NOTE: I age my beadwork so you'll generally never match colors by looking at my stuff and sorry but it's the one process I consider proprietary....
Also I have searched for years to look at early beadwork which is simpler than the later stuff in style - the later more complicated patterns demand 12/0 or smaller beads to accomplish the patterns.
3) Thread - You can use the Nymo beading thread in the right size if you choose. For much of my work that is not built to "period correct" or museum reproductions standards, I prefer the thin artificial sinew which I split in half.
For my "period correct" or museum quality stuff I use either: cotton button weight thread or even better silk button weight thread (much stronger) or real sinew - the latter though is something I generally don't recommend for the beginner since it is much harder to work with.
4) Leather - you need the right type to bead on. I mostly use real braintan, but it is expensive so as an alternative I use/suggest the German Tan from Crazy Crow at about half the price.
You can also bead on rawhide, but for beginners I don't recommend it - it takes some special techniques to do it right and it must be done fast while the hide is wet....IMO walk before you run - I've been beading for almost 50 years and didn't touch rawhide for the a very long time, even with the benefit of having very experienced NDN ladies teach me how.
I do my beadwork before attaching the leather to the sheath, except for the edge beading which must be done after.
5) Suggestion: pick a tribal style or two you like and then study as many original pieces as you can find - there are lots of books and several on line resources as well such as www.splendidheritage.com, www.bbhc.org - the Plains Indian museum section, and AMNH site - http://anthro.amnh.org/anthropology/databases/north_public/north_public.htm
IMO at first it's best to copy originals while learning the techniques, but also how the colors and patterns go together and do not try to mix things up at first. Over time you'll get a feel for things and can start doing your own thing if you choose.

Finally have fun and enjoy what you're doing - for me beadwork is a very relaxing endeavor while at the same time it helps fulfill a creative need. And don't fret over you're work being not perfect - look especially at the old stuff and you will see plenty of gaps and faux pauxs.........

Chuck is right. I get all my supplies from Crazy Crow as well. Your problem with your needles is a simple one. There are different size "seed beads" and there are specific size needles to fit them. There are also several styles of "beading",, Lazy Stitch, Appliquette(Flatwork), Comanche, Peyote, just to name a few. Getting the "Show you how" books is a good way to start. Take Chuck's advise and check out Crazy Crow's Website. Good luck.

Chuck, thank you for responding to this thread, your response has been very detailed and very informative. I have long admired your work and I appreciate it when someone takes the time to share a little of what they know on such a subject.
There is often the mentality amongst some people in the knife making community that he will figure it out on his own. Well I am getting old enough I am not sure how much I will figure out without asking a few questions. :D I always feel if it is not a trade secret (which I don't have too many of) why not share the info.
It helps to take the edge of the learning curve. After all there have been several bits of knowledge I have attained over the years that I can directly chalk up to shared information, the rest comes from the school of hard knocks!
My thanks to everyone for the info shared on this thread!

Just a quick update I made an order to Crazy Crow it included, several kinds of Czech Cut Seed Beads11/0, several kinds of Pony Beads- 8/0 some needles and a copy of, Beadwork Techniques of the Native Americans by Scott Sutton.
I figure this is enough to get me off to a start. :eek: This all I need another addiction to go along with the knifemaking and sheath work I already do!oh no! 1
Oh well maybe they will put it on my Tombstone, "he wasn't crazy he just acted that way"! hello there

Back