Shop Built Suface Grinder Attachment

BrandantR

I spent the last several weeks building this surface grinder attachment for my 2x72 grinder. I take no credit for the design; I simply looked at what others had done and took those features that I liked. I gave it a test run on one of my folder blades and it kept tolerances of 1/2 a thousand. Not too bad for a shop built tool. Let me know what you think. I have a full WIP on the blog section of my website if you care to see how it was built.

20180824_230445911_iOS.jpg
20180824_230438649_iOS.jpg

It looks great. I think this is going to be something I need. It looks so simple yet complicated and is a little intimidating. I'm gonna check out your blog.

If you had it to do over, would you build it or buy one? You did a fantastic job on it. It looks amazing.
I would definitely build it again. After looking at the prices of those available commercially, I knew I couldn't justify purchasing one. After building one and seeing how well it performs, I've very happy that I decided to build it.

this is awesome. the base where the knife is attached moves, where as the belt and all stay in place. brilliant work around and re-imaging of what a surface grinder is. now lets see it work!!! please...

this is awesome. the base where the knife is attached moves, where as the belt and all stay in place. brilliant work around and re-imaging of what a surface grinder is. now lets see it work!!! please...
Yes, that's the whole principle that makes this kind of surface grinder attachment work. It's not my idea, I'm just standing on the shoulders of giants who figured this out. I'll try to get some video of the grinder in action the next time that I'm out in my shop.

Brandant - I went to look at the SA attachment you made, but then saw the auto, and you did a GREAT job with that auto. I keeping thinking I'd like to make an auto, but always scared to start it. A slipjoint is enough for me - made several of those. Again, GREAT job. I've followed your progress on KnifeDogs from the time you started knifemaking and boy have you got good!

OK, now I've finished the surface grinder series - GREAT job. I've been amazed how much I use my SA for different things. They're really not that hard to build once you get the idea how they work.

Ken H>

Brandant - I went to look at the SA attachment you made, but then saw the auto, and you did a GREAT job with that auto. I keeping thinking I'd like to make an auto, but always scared to start it. A slipjoint is enough for me - made several of those. Again, GREAT job. I've followed your progress on KnifeDogs from the time you started knifemaking and boy have you got good!

OK, now I've finished the surface grinder series - GREAT job. I've been amazed how much I use my SA for different things. They're really not that hard to build once you get the idea how they work.

Ken H>
Thanks for the generous compliments, Ken. Like all of us here I strive to make each knife better than the last.

You’re right in saying that the surface grinder attachment is not difficult to build. I think it’s within the capabilities of most to do it too. It was your post that gave me the confidence to try. Thanks for that.

Thanks, David for inspiring the revolution. . . . . LOL. Like I mentioned before, I take no credit for the design of this surface grinder. I just saw what others had done and did it. I did use my mill and lathe on this project, but looking back, I could have done it all with a drill press and a table saw. (I used a table saw with a carbide tipped blade to cut the aluminum). I would encourage anyone interested in having one of these to give it a try. It's really not that complicated and having a surface grinder in the shop, especially if you make folders like I do, is absolutely priceless.

Brandant you’ve inspired me to make one. I need to dig into your WIP and put together a parts list. A surface grinder sure would take some grunt work and time out of flattening things.

Brandant you’ve inspired me to make one. I need to dig into your WIP and put together a parts list. A surface grinder sure would take some grunt work and time out of flattening things.
Check out KenH's post https://knifedogs.com/threads/surface-grinder.47166/ on page #3 post #45, Currenthill gives a pretty good parts list. I bought the linear slide table and linear rail that he lists there. I bought the magnets off of Amazon, the contact wheel from Sunray, and the aluminum from Online Metals.

I found that there were really five major parts that I had to build:
1. the magnetic chuck. Mine was made from 12" of 1"x2" aluminum with the magnets recessed in at regular intervals.
2. the tool arm. 1-1/2" square bar of aluminum to fit the grinder receiver.
3. an offset mounting bar to be able to mount the linear rail at an angle for ease of use. I used the left over piece of 1-1/2" bar from the tool arm. If you are building the attachment for a horizontal grinder, or you are willing to work the linear rail vertically, you can eliminate this part.
4. a mounting plate to attach the linear slide table to the bearings side of the linear rail. A 1/2" thick piece of aluminum about 6"x4"
5. the adjustable table. I milled mine from a 12" piece of 1"x2", but it could easily have been made by bolting two pieces of 1/2" stock together without milling. If you aren't worried about being able to adjust the grinder for tapering, this part can be eliminated and the magnetic chuck could be mounted directly on the linear rail.

Hopefully this gives you a good starting point to work from. Let me know if I can be of any help.

Back