Shop Tip of the Day - Add yours here

It you want to crown the idler wheel or any other for that matter, just do it with regular masking tape. It will last for years. Frank

This has probably been said before but,
Mark your steel and other supplies with a marker or stamp so you know what is what a next time you want to use it..
or years from now!!!

I use a 3/32 or 1/8 dia. cotter pin (1 1/2 or 2 inches long) as a sanding spindle in my Foredom. As the abrasive gets worn, I trim it off. Only down side is that the diameter slowly decrease.

Ric

I have found that facing the 9" platen on my KMG disc grinder with cork gasket material (Auto parts store I use felpro brand) eliminates chatter and give a much more even finish. I applied it with 3M #7 glue, then glue my paper on with the cheap ($2) craft spray adheasive in the arts and crafts dept at walmart. Most sheet dont need it, but a heat gun will loosen the glue so it can be peeled off with no issue. I clean my cork with a rag soaked in mimiral spirits with the machine running at 20% this removes any uneven glue buildup that can cause "bumps". The cork will need replaced, but Ive used approx 600 sheets of paper on it and its going strong!

God Bless
Mike

"the buffer throwing the bolster" awesome, i thought i was the only one with dents in my drywall from brass bolsters at 3000rpm lol

Super Glue has become one of my best friends, I glue on all my handle materials before drilling, it works great for me since i drill all my pin or screw holes before HT and then glue the handle material over and drill through. i can assemble the whole handle to fit and then simply knock them off with a small peen hammer and clean them up before expoxing. It is also a heck of a lot cheaper than stitches !!!!

And just assume anything works because you read it or were told it, test it yourself and make sure !

"the buffer throwing the bolster" awesome, i thought i was the only one with dents in my drywall from brass bolsters at 3000rpm lol

Super Glue has become one of my best friends, I glue on all my handle materials before drilling, it works great for me since i drill all my pin or screw holes before HT and then glue the handle material over and drill through. i can assemble the whole handle to fit and then simply knock them off with a small peen hammer and clean them up before expoxing. It is also a heck of a lot cheaper than stitches !!!!

And just assume anything works because you read it or were told it, test it yourself and make sure !

I use superglue nearly every time I drill bolsters or man made scales.

White buffing compound applied to a worn out and glossy 15x micron belt can really help chase a stubborn scratch or two from your hollow grinds.

Store respirators in an air tight bag when not in use. If its in the air, its in the respirator, and you will get a concentrated dose when you first put it on.

White buffing compound applied to a worn out and glossy 15x micron belt can really help chase a stubborn scratch or two from your hollow grinds.

That's true Frank.
I discovered this many years ago while trying to repurpose my severely worn Trizac belts. They were relatively expensive to me and I couldn't bear to throw them out. Now I use them like I own the company....love em.

I don't know if this was already mentioned.......
When drilling your tang for lightening holes, use a drill size noticably bigger than your pin holes. It's so easy to lose your train of thought and drill the wrong hole for your handle pins. I've done it and it just happened to a freind last week right after I warned him about it. $35 down the tubes but at least he still has one usable scale.

Rudy

I collect other folks old toothbrushes...and then wash them in the dishwasher...( before you all chuck your lunch in the kitchen sink...)

I use them for cleaning belts after grinding oily woods like cocobolo, and lignum vitae...use the handle HARD against the running belt...

The plastic brush handle melts and bends over and flies off, grabbing the wood residue...

BTW, the brush parts can be used as, well, a mini brush around the shop...and when the bristles are gone, the aforementioned grinding part can then be used...

i collect other folks old toothbrushes...and then wash them in the dishwasher...( before you all chuck your lunch in the kitchen sink...)

i use them for cleaning belts after grinding oily woods like cocobolo, and lignum vitae...use the handle hard against the running belt...

The plastic brush handle melts and bends over and flies off, grabbing the wood residue...

Btw, the brush parts can be used as, well, a mini brush around the shop...and when the bristles are gone, the aforementioned grinding part can then be used...
lol

I recently bought some water soluble cutting oil to try in my dunk bucket, and it works great just dunk and grind. Grinds faster and cooler on ceramic belts, and just pour some in a spray bottle for drilling. Cost me $12 for a quart that will make 2 gallons. well worth it.

My shop tip for the day is that I always have had two Fire extinguishers in my shop!
Only need one once for a couple of spurts. But you want the second around until you get the one you have used refilled or replaced.

Laurence

www.rhinoknives.com

Dusting your files with layout chalk before filing, will keep the teeth from loading up with metal and the chalk acts as a lubricant which helps the file glide along the filing guide. It cuts shoulders on hidden tang knives "cleaner" than can be produced using other lubricants.
I use a pizza cheese can to put the chalk in which makes it easy to apply to the files.

when drilling carbon fiber and to avoid ruining the outside of the hole, drill with a smaller bit first, then start drilling with your end size bit but only half way through, then flip it and drill from the other side!

Before making a purchase make a list and sleep on it... I almost always think of something new to add.

Saves on shipping, which quite frankly is atrocious.

If you are putting in a dust collection system, make it for metal or non-metal grinding/sanding but not both or you will eventually blow yourself up.

Last edited:
Back