Shop Tip of the Day - Add yours here

always run a ground wire inside your dust collector tubes. i would show you some photos if the shop burned down

Here is my shop tip for the gang.

As a knife sharpener I get a lot of old broken knives brought in by customers.
Heres the best way to make a platen push stick for tapering tangs etc. grind off the blade down to a inch or two and grind a notch pin like in the Global all metal handle you see in the pictures. You can contour the tip to any size hole you want to press against.DSCN1891.jpgDSCN1892.jpg

This is great was to give a second life and make the tool you need for the shop.

There is a company called Congress tools inc. that makes polishing stones for mold and die polishing. These stones conform to what ever profile you need to polish, and are very useful in plunge lines and such. They sell assortments for reasonable prices so you can learn what you need. In case you were wondering, I don't have anything to do with them. I learned about them years ago when I worked in a mold shop. I had a few still in my tool box and gave them a try on my knives. They are a very valuable tool for polishing contours.

Thanks everyone who has posted for the good ideas. They help use all become better craftsmen.

Duncan

Always read you orders twice.. Make sure you use the specified fasters (brass if brass-stainless if stainless) that way if your customer is not amused you don't have to make the blade over again . Ask me how I know this.:sad:

Sound advice. I use the PayPal invoice as my build sheet. The customer sees and is encouraged to review the build sheet, I see the build sheet and build directly off it - almost foolproof.

Always read you orders twice.. Make sure you use the specified fasters (brass if brass-stainless if stainless) that way if your customer is not amused you don't have to make the blade over again . Ask me how I know this.:sad:

For burnishing the edge of leather or smoothing the edge of Kydex, I often turn a cloth backed belt inside out and use that at high speed to friction burnish leather to a nice hard brown or slower speed for smoothing Kydex.

If you will rub some parrafin or candle wax on the dampened edge of the leather prior to this it will really help the edge even more

Back