Should I buy an Atlas Mini Forge?

RangerMadeKnives

KNIFE MAKER
"Buy an Atlas Mini Forge?" is now "Help me build a forge...Please"

Here's where I'm at; I've been making knives for a year using stock removal. There is no doubt in my mind that this is going to be a lifelong passion. I will be attending the Intro to Bladesmithing class at Washington, AR in November. I would like to have a little experience swinging a hammer before I go and honestly I probably need to build my strength as well. I want to get into something that will get me started, teach me a few things and not take a big outlay of cash. I feel I will be better educated after the course and can make wiser investments then. That said, I'm thinking a small turn-key forge for $300-400ish. What do you guys think?

Also, this is a link to the anvil I am seriously considering. TFS Anvil I would expect for this to get me through for at least a few years for this kind of investment so, feedback is also very much appreciated on it.

Bob

Last edited:
No advice from me, you're way ahead of me already, but I'm interested in advice on anvils too. I've been looking for used, but they're all wore out and everybody thinks they're made of gold. What steered you towards the TFS anvils? Hope some anvil experts are willing to chime in here.

I can't comment on whether or not that is a good anvil but if you do go with it Centaur Forge, which is in Austin, Tx sells it for $755.00.

No advice from me, you're way ahead of me already, but I'm interested in advice on anvils too. I've been looking for used, but they're all wore out and everybody thinks they're made of gold. What steered you towards the TFS anvils? Hope some anvil experts are willing to chime in here.

Been searching anvil recommendation threads on google and have seen favorable comments in some of the blacksmithing forums.

I can't comment on whether or not that is a good anvil but if you do go with it Centaur Forge, which is in Austin, Tx sells it for $755.00.

Thanks, good to know.

Bob

I have a Atlas mini knife forge and I love it,if I need a bigger forge I go to my coal forge.It's a great small forge .

Ok, after a lot of reading I've decided that I'm going to go with the Nimba Titan and hopefully never need another anvil. I'm going to send them an email today and see what the lead times are. I am still undecided on the Atlas Mini Forge just because of the small diameter of the heating chamber.

Bob

If I didn't have a coal forge I would most likely go with something bigger,that said I havnt found it lacking in size for doing knives under 12 inches .I don't use a forge for heat treating so that's not a issue .I mainly use the Atlas for banging out smaller stuff and comes in handy when forging out gaurds and such.

Just my personal thoughts...... First, I think the Nimba is a good choice. I've worked on a number of Nimba anvils, and liked the way they "worked". The reason I never looked into buying one is personal preference....I started out on an english style anvil, and just like that style better, but I suspect had I started on a german style, then that would be my preference. :)

When it comes to a forge, I generally encourage individuals to build their own. Its not all that much cheaper to build one versus buying one, but the big benifit is learning about forges, and what makes them work....or not. Learning and understanding how and why your forge works the way it does will directly translate into the forge work you do with the forge. In my experience those whom I've taught Bladesmithing to, and have built their own forges, tend to go further, faster then those who purchase ready built forges. Of course if the prime intent is to just get going, and you're fighting the battle of "I wanna do it NOW!" and are not interested in the hows and whys of a forge, purchasing one might be the best option.

Personally, I'm not a fan of any "Mini" forge.....simply because you can do small work in a bigger forge.....but you can't do larger work in a small forge. As far as money goes, for the cost of that forge, a person could easily build TWO 8" dia. x 16" long "general purpose" round forges.

Thanks Ed, I certainly appreciate your input. I am definitely the kind of person who wants to know how/why everything works. I have given a lot of thought to building my own forge and I'm sure I will at some point. I just have this one problem...time! I just don't seem to have enough of it and I do want to start banging on metal NOW. It could be several weeks to several months before I get an anvil delivered so maybe I can carve out enough time to cobble something together. If I were going to make my own, I think something like the vertical pipe forges Bruce Bump made is what I'd like to do. Would that be too much for a first forge? Bruce's forge

Bob

Bob,
Thanks for the mention of my forge. I use mine allot and love it. I've made and sold 5 of them for over $700. I don't plan to make any more but while I was making mine I made several extra parts to make more. If you want to save some time on yours give me a shout. You can use a propane bottle with my front and back doors and burner set up. You will also need satinite, and ITC 100. I have the kao wool.

You might see from the other thread, but I just built my first 2 brick forge which is very similar to the Atlas for about $50 total. I've been using a less than ideal charcoal forge for a while now. As I don't plan on doing anything larger, this should work well for me. I'm actually blown away at how much easier this little thing is to control the temp and heat treat a knife. I should have done this a long time ago.

Ok, so I am all over the map on this. I went ahead and bought the forge parts Bruce was offering so I will be making my first forge. I'm feeling a little thin on funds so now I'm back to probably going with a TFS 100lb anvil to get me started; it's half the price (with free shipping) of the small Nimba and they're readily available. When I get the parts from Bruce, I will likely start a forge build thread.. you know, because there aren't enough already.

Bob

Ok, so I am all over the map on this. I went ahead and bought the forge parts Bruce was offering so I will be making my first forge. I'm feeling a little thin on funds so now I'm back to probably going with a TFS 100lb anvil to get me started; it's half the price (with free shipping) of the small Nimba and they're readily available. When I get the parts from Bruce, I will likely start a forge build thread.. you know, because there aren't enough already.

Bob
A forge build with my parts is a great idea. I love my forge and its a simple design too. Looking forward to it.

Ok, I ordered an anvil today. I ended up going with an Emerson 100lb traditional w/o cams. I felt the 4140 would be more durable than the ductile iron in the long term. I have nothing to back this up but, the Emerson does have pretty good reviews as far as I can tell and the price was not much more than the TFS. I also picked up two hammers from Harbor Freight. I have to admit, I'm a bit of a tool snob and it pains me to go into Harbor Freight but they were the only place I could find hammers without fiberglass handles. I got a 3lb cross pein and a 2lb mini sledge. They will both need to be cleaned up before I can use them. I have everything I need to build my forge except the 12" pipe; my steel supplier only had 3/8" wall. I may just roll my own from 16ga. I have a heavy slip roll so that may be the way to go.

Bob

I have everything I need to build my forge except the 12" pipe; my steel supplier only had 3/8" wall. I may just roll my own from 16ga. I have a heavy slip roll so that may be the way to go.

Bob

If you have the kit to do it, definitely roll your own. There is no advantage that I can see to having a heavy shell to your forge.

If you are going to a 12" shell though, it's going to be a completely different animal to the little Atlas. For you, I guess the answer to the thread title is no.

Back