Show me your grinder bench

Chris Martin

Ok, Dogs.

The time has come and I have a new grinder on its way2thumbs My Coote has been good to me, but I am now more than ready to put work in with the new grinder!

I am already thinking up what type of bench I want. I have narrowed it down to a small bench dedicated to the new grinder. After seeing a few shop-fox tool bench/rests I would like to see yours.

I am thinking maybe casters on the legs to roll over by the door etc. for them days of heavy Micarta-G-10-Wood grinding. Eventually I will get me a dust collector, but for now the 5 gal water bucket, broom and shop vac are doing just fine.

So post em up, Dogs. Give me some ideas!!!:D

Thanks2thumbs

Chris

Here is mine. I just built a new stand.

The old stand was a brake drum from a large truck.

The new stand is 1" thick plate on top and bottom with 1/4" thick tube for the upright.

5 gallon bucket to catch sparks.

Works great and is very sturdy but not very mobile (my goal was for it not to move at all, it doesn't).

Attachments

• grinder.jpg
    grinder.jpg
    43.4 KB · Views: 116
  • IMG_11741.jpg
    IMG_11741.jpg
    46.4 KB · Views: 107
  • IMG_11781.jpg
    IMG_11781.jpg
    63.3 KB · Views: 108
  • IMG_1189.JPG
    IMG_1189.JPG
    60.9 KB · Views: 123
Now thats a sturdy looking bench. The old stand was cool too, but this one looks well done! If I had a welder I would consider building me one, but I just want to keep it simple yet have a nice work stand for the grinder.

I have been debating a stand like Tracy uses for his NWG, I like that it can be raised/lowered and rolled around the shop if need be.2thumbs Plus they can be had for pretty cheap.

Nice build, Bob!!!!

Chris

Here is mine. I just built a new stand.

The old stand was a brake drum from a large truck.

The new stand is 1" thick plate on top and bottom with 1/4" thick tube for the upright.

5 gallon bucket to catch sparks.

Works great and is very sturdy but not very mobile (my goal was for it not to move at all, it doesn't).

Chris, I just got up to the New England School of Metalwork to do the Belt Grinder Workshop. Everything is still in the trailer. After I am set up tomorrow afternoon I will try to take some pictures of my stand and post them along with some other pics of the school, trailer, etc.
My stand is basically the size of my grinder base, welded out of angle iron, with locking wheels and one leg has a height adjustment so that you can make sure that all 4 legs are on the floor. I found that the wheels would move a little so I made a square riser for the front and back and can raise the whole thing up off the ground. You'll see.

I made mine the four legged type out of square tubing and anlge iron with a lower shelf for putting goodies. That's a KMG in front, and a Square Wheel behind it. The shelves are made of expanded steel so the grinding dust doesn't build up on them. They are pretty compact, and easy to move around.

Attachments

• SHOP_SMALL_2.jpg
    SHOP_SMALL_2.jpg
    45.7 KB · Views: 83
I used the top of an oak coffee table my sister wanted gone and made an angle iron frame. I used unistrut for motor mounts so I could tension the belt. Adjustable legs for height adjustment. I wish I would have put the controler further away, but though I would be accessing it often which isn't the case. I miscalculated the hieght too, ended up puting 6' X 6" blocks under the legs.

Attachments

• KMG 001.jpg
    KMG 001.jpg
    89.7 KB · Views: 49
  • KMG 006.jpg
    KMG 006.jpg
    93.3 KB · Views: 55
  • KMG 005.jpg
    KMG 005.jpg
    89.5 KB · Views: 45
Last edited:
Hey Chris,

I thought I'd share the old school grinder bench! Beware!!! No bling here!!!

016-2.jpg

I humbly submit my grinder "and" bench:unsure::unsure:2thumbs

Jeff

:DLOL:D

I have nothing but respect for that, Jeff. I hope to see that blade turned out soon! Your doing a great job2thumbs

Chris

Hey Chris,

I thought I'd share the old school grinder bench! Beware!!! No bling here!!!

016-2.jpg

I humbly submit my grinder "and" bench:unsure::unsure:2thumbs

Jeff

Last edited:
It's actually further along now, I'm just waiting for the drill press I bought to get here so I can poke some holes in it.

Jeff

:DLOL:D

I have noting but respect for that, Jeff. I hope to see that blade turned out soon! Your doing a great job2thumbs

Chris

Thats awesome buddy. Your getting there.....next try and start putting a couple bucks back here and there and upgrade as you can.

We all take baby steps....I am still stepping myself2thumbs

Chris

It's actually further along now, I'm just waiting for the drill press I bought to get here so I can poke some holes in it.

Jeff

I would suggest that the grinding belt area be out over open space. If you have the belt/wheels over the table and a belt breaks it tends to flop around some before it stops moving. I know of makers who have been slaped in the face with a 40 grit Blaze belt. That is not fun. If the belt/wheels are over open space they tend to just fall away. This does not mean that they can not come around and hit you if you have them over open space, just a little bit less likely.

Here's mine. It is a Sears metal stand for any bench top tools, mine had a broken table saw on it so I removed the saw, added a wooden top and installed the grinder.

I agree with Wayne. I changed the position of my grinder the first time a belt flew off. Those heavy grit belts hurt.:D

Attachments

• IMG_2833.jpg
    IMG_2833.jpg
    93.1 KB · Views: 67
  • IMG_2825.jpg
    IMG_2825.jpg
    89 KB · Views: 53
My Bader 3 with 14" wheel and 9" disk grinder from Riverside Machine, also my 1956 Bammesbergersurface grinder that I converted to a 72" belt and my home made horizontal edge grinder.

Back