Simple fixed blade.

Finished photos

Maybe I am missing something,but a question just popped into my head, after looking at the finished photos these thoughts came to mind!!

Was the coffee etch done before you handled the knife, is so why didn't the final sanding of the handle down to steel, not change that area as far as the etch is concerned??

On the other hand if the coffee etch was done after putting the handle on the the knife. How did you protect the handle from the coffee etch, because the coffee etch on the spine of the knife looks no different!!
42628-0a38a7487b03d91645258f359e012086.jpg

Attachments

• upload_2017-8-27_16-53-22.jpeg
    upload_2017-8-27_16-53-22.jpeg
    2.5 KB · Views: 1
Maybe I am missing something,but a question just popped into my head, after looking at the finished photos these thoughts came to mind!!

Was the coffee etch done before you handled the knife, is so why didn't the final sanding of the handle down to steel, not change that area as far as the etch is concerned??

On the other hand if the coffee etch was done after putting the handle on the the knife. How did you protect the handle from the coffee etch, because the coffee etch on the spine of the knife looks no different!!
42628-0a38a7487b03d91645258f359e012086.jpg

I attached the scales with the corby bolts but didnt grind them off. I finished the handle completely before etching the blade. Then I removed the scales, etched the blade, hand finished the blade, bolted on the scales then ground them flush and stained the scales.

Thanks, Calvin!

I wonder what the instant coffee has in it that makes it work so well??

That reminds me, I need another cup of Joe this morning. I like mine brewed rather than instant!! :D

I think it's the lack of water. Instant coffee is just regular coffee. The process they make it at the factory works like this: The factory actually brews giant vats of regular coffee. The liquid coffee is then pumped to the top of a silo. Inside this silo is a swirling vortex of freezing cold air (nitrogen, etc) and the coffee is injected into the air through spray jets. As the liquid coffee falls like rain in this swirling, freezing vortex, the coffee is "freeze dried" by the cold air which removes all the water. The frozen coffee crystals hit the floor as instant coffee grounds.

So instant coffee is just regular coffee with the water removed.

(things you learn as a traveling fix-it guy)

The coffee is acidic , the stronger ,the more acid, although it is a very mild acid compared to ferric chloride. Thats why you must leave it in for a long time.

The coffee is acidic , the stronger ,the more acid, although it is a very mild acid compared to ferric chloride. Thats why you must leave it in for a long time.

Back when used be able to buy a coffee maker that didn't shut off in 2hrs
( ain't out Government great, they don't think we know how to shut off our coffee, so they mandate all coffee maker must have a timer that shuts them off in 2hrs ) SHEEEZ. Anyway if you leave the pot on for several hours, it is what we used to call paving grade. You can see the acid when you pour it, well that is just right for a pick me up in the afternoon.
Thanks for sharing info on your how to's, so to speak to get a finish knife as fine as this one! Calvin I have learned a lot from this thread!

Cal, Did you forget how to make folders? As usual you always do a nice job!

Last week I had gone to the feed store to get a refund on some Herd Builder powdered milk that I did not need. I've been in the need for a good mole trapping shovel so I went over to the shovel department and found the shovel of my dreams. The handle was curly ash. Now if I break the shovel I can use the handle on knives if I ever get back into being a knife maker again.

Cal, Did you forget how to make folders? As usual you always do a nice job!

Last week I had gone to the feed store to get a refund on some Herd Builder powdered milk that I did not need. I've been in the need for a good mole trapping shovel so I went over to the shovel department and found the shovel of my dreams. The handle was curly ash. Now if I break the shovel I can use the handle on knives if I ever get back into being a knife maker again.

Ha Ray! Good for you on the shovel handle. Save it for sure , it makes nice knife handles as you can see. No I haven't forgotten how to make folders, I have 3 in progress right now.
Did you see this one?20170808_105238.jpg

Back when used be able to buy a coffee maker that didn't shut off in 2hrs ( ain't out Government great, they don't think we know how to shut off our coffee, so they mandate all coffee maker must have a timer that shuts them off in 2hrs ) SHEEEZ. Anyway if you leave the pot on for several hours, it is what we used to call paving grade. You can see the acid when you pour it, well that is just right for a pick me up in the afternoon.
Thanks for sharing info on your how to's, so to speak to get a finish knife as fine as this one! Calvin I have learned a lot from this thread!
If you're ever in my neck o' the woods...stop by for coffee. I think we like it about the same....lol

Cal, I see you still make some beautiful folders!

I made two lock back folders 20 years ago. The first one was a two step model and the second one was the three step model. The first one was so heavy you got two steps and the weight of it made pants fall down. The second one was a little lighter.

Back