Slightly bent slipjoint liners?

Brian.Evans

So......I was working on a slipjoint and I accidentally bent the liner a bit. Everything is shaped, soldered, ect. It's ready for pinning as soon as the parts get back from Peter's. I'm not sure how much its going to be bent, but it seems a bit off just holding it on a flat surface. I'll know for sure when I get the parts here. Is there anything I can do to flatten it? I think this one might just have to have some gaps if there's nothing I can do. Suggestions?

Can't you just put one end bin the vise, lower it to the bend area and pull or push on the other end? I don't do slip joints but this works on liners for liner locks. It won't look or work right if a liner is bent some. You don't need your blade and spring back to check that out. Better even to make a new liner. Frank

You should straighten it.
I have a small arbor press on the bench with a granite surface plate right next to it. Every folder I make,I sit in a chair in front of this set up so everything is eye level,I lay the liner on the plate,see where it needs to be bent and then straighten it on the arbor press. Some times this takes a while but I don't settle for less than straight,this effort pays off in the long run by making it easier to get liner lock knives and slipjoints operating smoothly and being centered with no side play and the slipjoints with no gaps between the spring and liners.

Back