Slip Joint #1

Eric Poris

Gold Membership
This is my first slip joint folder. It works, and that is all I wanted at this point in time. Nothing fancy. Spring is flush at all three points, open, closed and half stop. Pictures didn't turn out too great.
I want to thank Craig Brewer for dressing the stone wheel I used for the nail nick.
Here are specs and pics:

3/32" thick ATS-43 steel (60-61 RC HT and cryo by me)
4 3/8" closed 7 5/8" open
416 SS pins
Orange G10 scales
Hollow ground on a 14" wheel.
Weight: 2.57 OZ.

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Thanks for looking.

EP

Attachments

• IMG_0288.jpg
    IMG_0288.jpg
    92.3 KB · Views: 154
  • IMG_0287.jpg
    IMG_0287.jpg
    90.9 KB · Views: 154
  • IMG_0286.jpg
    IMG_0286.jpg
    91.5 KB · Views: 154
  • IMG_0285.jpg
    IMG_0285.jpg
    93 KB · Views: 154
Last edited:
It looks great, good work. But I'm wondering about the absence of liners, are their washers in there for the blade to ride on? I'm not criticizing, just asking. Keep up the good work!

Thanks guys
Calvin-
The scales are mill relieved just like you would on metal liners. I can't recall the word, maybe Bassman can help me out here (that's you Steve), but the scales are acting as the washer. I also polish the tang of the blade so there is less unfriendly friction between the G10 and blade.

EP

Last edited:
The word you're looking for is "boss". That's what left after you relieve the liners. Although g10 is not recognized as a great "bearing" material, if the shank is polished and you used the feeler gauges when peening the pivot, it should work smoothly for a long time.

Fish

Boss is exactly the word I was looking for Mr Master Caster, thanks. I actually did use two feeler gauges that are .002" thick for each side of the blade when peening. They worked quite nicely for what was needed.

EP

OK I understand now
Thanks guys
Calvin-
The scales are mill relieved just like you would on metal liners. I can't recall the word, maybe Bassman can help me out here (that's you Steve), but the scales are acting as the washer. I also polish the tang of the blade so there is less unfriendly friction between the G10 and blade.

EP

Back