Slipjoint Material Recommendation

Plas62

I'm getting ready to buy some more materials for making slipjoints. I was going to go with stainless steel this time.

I was thinking about CPM154 for the blade and spring material and 410 stainless for the liners, bolsters and pins. I would be sending out the blades and springs for heat treatment.

Would these be good choices for my first time using stainless or does someone have a better recommendation?

Also does anyone have a source for 3/32 id bushings to use on the blade pivot? I wanted to try using bushings this time. From what I've read this looks like my best bet for getting a smooth operating and tight assembly and for eliminating scratching at the tang.

Thanks
Jim

The bushings won't help with scratching the tang,you'll have to relief your liners in that area or use washers.
I make my own bushings and washers just because I like to but it will be quicker and cheaper to buy them if you can.
I know bushings are readily available but you may have trouble finding washers in the deminsions you want. If you like I will bring some washers that I made to the Blade show and you can come by and pick them up,I make them from stainless shimstock .010"x3/32"x.280".

Calvin - If you could bring some to the Blade Show it would be appreciated. How are they used in conjunction with the bushings? Do they sit on top of the bushing? Do you still need to relive the liners to use the washers?

Cubane - Thanks for the link to the busching supplier.

Calvin - If you could bring some to the Blade Show it would be appreciated. How are they used in conjunction with the bushings? Do they sit on top of the bushing? Do you still need to relive the liners to use the washers?

Cubane - Thanks for the link to the busching supplier.

Jim,
Come see me at the blade show and I will give you some bushings and washers and tell you how to do it.

Back