Slipjoint scalpel....for me.

EdCaffreyMS

"The Montana Bladesmith"
I've seen these around, and thought that I'd like to make one for myself. Well, today I decided it was time. I robbed some parts from an existing scalpel, and made something that every self respecting Doctor should own! :) This one uses #20-#24 replaceable scalpel blades, and has mosaic scales of nickel/1080 damascus, finished out with clear Gun-Kote.

Love it Ed - I’d like to have a go at one of these myself. Mine wouldn’t be in the same class but do you mind if I copy your design?

Feel free to copy it! Just a couple of tips.... I used an existing scalpel handle, because I couldn't figure out how to make the tiny slots that hold the blades in..... but the problem is....those scalpel handles are all hardened..... meaning carbide tooling.

I've since found two outfits who are willing to produce the blade holder parts from my design, but the minimum run is 1K from either. One quoted me $5 each, and the other quoted me $7 each..... before heat treating and finishing..... not something I can swing given the present market environment.
That means I'll build a couple here and there, but they certainly will not be a "standard" offering from me.

Back