Slippie

tedinatl

I recently started playing with slippies. I made a few prototypes, and when I was happy with the design, I made three of these. This one has a G10 handle, the other two were stabilized Hawaiian Mango and African Blackwood.

Here are some specs:
Blade: CPM 154 (RC 59 - 61)
Backspring: CPM 154 (RC 46 - 48)
Liners, bolsters and pins: 416 SS
Handle: Blue and black G10
Pull is a nice 5 or 6, and it sits completely flush in all three positions. The blade is 2 7/8" long, 1/8" thick and 3/4 high, OAL is 6 5/8" and closed length is 3 3/4".

Thoughts/comments/questions are always welcomed.

Thanks for looking!

Good lookin knife! Now you're hooked. Just curious, why did you use one screw in your handle instead of all pins or all screws?
Phil

Thanks for the kind words, Phil. No real reason for using the screw vs. a pin - I just thought I'd mix it up a little bit.

That's as good a reason as any. I think Don's on to something...another way to mark your work. You're off to a great start with the slippies.

Nice work, I really like it. Looks like your in my neck of the wood's. I'm down in Hogansville SW of ATL.

I like the profile of the blade and handle. As you know now making slipjoints is fun and addicting. Keep showing us your work.

Thanks for all the comments, guys. Please feel free to critique - I'm thick skinned, and only want to make better knives!

Since you asked for a critique I will say what you already know,the pivot pins are visible and I can't tolerate that in the knives I make.You need to figure out why and how to make them disappear.
The screw looks inappropriate in a slipjoint knife,I know some people use them and I have too,in the past.
Your off to a good start,keep at it and keep improving.
Contact me if I can help.:1:

Thanks Calvin. I've had a really hard time making the pins disappear with stainless steel, even though the pin and the bolster are both 416 SS. There are no gaps around the pins, but the metal color is off. Maybe I should switch to Nickle Silver on my slippies... How have you gotten around it in the past?

Last edited:
The only time I had that problem,I had accidentally used a 303 pin in 416 bolsters.
To prevent that from happening again I threw away all the 303 in my shop.
The source of your 416 may be unreliable,things may have been mislabeled.
I think you should get some more 416,both from the same source,if they are both 416 they should match.
416 will also match 410.

Thanks Calvin. I went through that exercise a few months ago, but it might just be that a piece of 303 slipped through. I'll be going through my pin stash again, and might just throw it all away/use it for fixed blades, and then make sure I get guard and pin stock from the same supplier.

The other two folders matched exactly, and the pins aren't visible, so that was most likely the culprit...

Last edited:
Back