Small African Blackwood Fighter

tedinatl

Hi guys,

Haven't posted a picture of a knife I've made in a while, so I thought I'd share one for you guys to give me some feedback.

After being inspired by Nick Wheeler and his thread(s) on the Paranee fighters at the end of last year, I made my first fighter-style knife, and while I was experimenting, I thought why not also do the first inlay on a sheath. The inlay is beaver tail (thanks to Paul Long for parting with a few tails for me to play with).

Some specs:
OAL: 10 1/2"
Blade: CPM 154, 6" long, 1 1/4" wide, 5/32" thick, full flat grind with a small swedge on the top, heat treated to 60 RHC with a scotch-brite finish
Handle: African Blackwood, 4 1/2" long
Guard: 416 SS with black G10 spacers, satin finished
Pin: 416 SS

Photo1.jpg

Photo2.jpg

Photo3.jpg

Any comments and feedback is always greatly appreciated - I'm pretty thick-skinned!

Absolutely a great looking knife, sheath is ok too. Very clean lines and just perfect execution of the knifemakers art.
Thanks for showing it.

Percy

Fantastic!. Did you finish the guard with Scotchbrite, too? The finish is very uniform, and I am wondering how you did it.

-- Lee

No the guard was done by hand with 100 grit paper and a small sanding block. The scotchbrite belt is pretty aggressive when you touch wood with it, so it gouges out the wood at the join between the wood and the guard, leaving a very noticable dip in the transition.

Back